T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I finally broke down and bought an Epson 1400. Hopefully I got a good deal:

Epson 1400 - $199 staples
Accu rip/film - $300 digitsmith
Blackmax ink - $150 silkscreeningsupplies

Looks like I will have about $650 in it.

My questions are:

1. I use Illy, so any advise would be helpful
2. Am I missing anything?
3. Has anyone had any luck using a roll of film with the 1400? I hate the idea that I could possibly use not have enough jobs (say left chest logos) to fill up a sheet.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also, am I correct in thinking that everything will print in solid spot color and if I want a halftone then I will need to use the "gradient" tool?

And do to the "all black" system I would want to print through accu rip every time even if there is no halftones?

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
correct ..I print through accurip for every film , halftone or spot colors...accurip will read the color values of the image and asign halftones where they are needed and solids where they are needed.

Inked

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yes, you'll want to print through accurip to use all black. I might suggest getting a Lyson bulk ink system. They cost about $200.00, but then you can buy Black ink in liter bottles for about $150 from lawson screen and digital. I've gotten a year out of mine, and have printed probably 2000 sheets of 13x19 film, and I still have a Quarter liter left I was going through 8 Black Max cartridges in my 1800 in about 2 weeks before, so the savings are astronomical.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
you could also buy refillable cartridges for dye ink, (got mine off ebay) and then get a bottle of opaque dye ink for printing films from Lawson, or I get mine from oversizedfilm.com
They also sell the refillable cartridges.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
you could also buy refillable cartridges for dye ink, (got mine off ebay) and then get a bottle of opaque dye ink for printing films from Lawson, or I get mine from oversizedfilm.com
Would a chip resetter be required then? I seen lawson had one for sale for $200 some. seems crazy!

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So is this the system that you are using:

Film Direct

Looks like it would be worth the money if it worked.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I'm pretty sure the refillable ink cartridges for the 1400 reset themselves. I'm not sure, but I believe I read that somewhere. I'm looking into getting this refillable kit once my black maxx ink is out.

~Inkjet Products and Supplies for Epson Stylus Photo 1400 Inkjet Printers - Inksupply.com

EDIT: Nevermind, that Film Direct kit looks promising. I cant wait to start using a refillable system. I just got my accurip settings perfect. I wasn't using it at all so I wasted the one black ink cartridge so many times. Finally got all 6 printing :)

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
So is this the system that you are using:

Film Direct

Looks like it would be worth the money if it worked.
That's the ink that I use.
But, I bought the refillable/auto-reset) dye cartridges off ebay. (They came with bottles of colored dye ink...for I think it was 45-50 bucks) and then, I purchased just the opaque black film ink from oversizedfilm.com.
I do fill the other colors with the colored ink, and just the matte black cartidge with the opaque black ink from oversized.....
Yes, the cartridges automatically reset themselves. And I've got to say that with the dye inks, I haven't had ANY clog issues.
Even when the printer's been shut down for weeks. (I'm an airbrushed artist too..and when I'm doing artwork for customers, I'm not doing my screenprinting...)
Anyway, very happy with this system.
The way I've set my system up, I just select black for the ink choice.

·
Registered
22 Posts
So whats this cartridge reset about??? My Epson 1800 suddenly was unable to recognize the Lyson Bulk system cartridge in the gloss slot. I use accurip with black in all 8 cartridges. Any idea why this might of happened after 8 mnths of flawless performance???

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
So whats this cartridge reset about??? My Epson 1800 suddenly was unable to recognize the Lyson Bulk system cartridge in the gloss slot. I use accurip with black in all 8 cartridges. Any idea why this might of happened after 8 mnths of flawless performance???

something similar to that has happened to me before.......a glitch...
I think what I did was to pop out and reinsert the cartridges, one at a time....then, I kept telling it to go forward with a test print, and it finally stopped giving me that message...

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'll give it a try, so far I've just pulled out the one cartidrige and clean the chips with alcohol swaps(both cartridge and slot), thanks

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just got my accurip settings perfect. I wasn't using it at all so I wasted the one black ink cartridge so many times. Finally got all 6 printing :)
So Accurip is not auto? I did not realize that you will have to play with the settings. How will I know if it is not set correctly?

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
when i first got accurip I played with the settings for the first couple prints...once I got the settings were I was happy with the print ..I havent touched them since.......been over a year no problems. the only thing I change is the lpi..depending on what mesh screen I need .....most of the time I have it set to 45 lpi for my 230 mesh screens.......

Inked

·
Registered
561 Posts
So Accurip is not auto? I did not realize that you will have to play with the settings. How will I know if it is not set correctly?
I never did much playing around with the program because i thought it was for halftones only. Then I went to the setup part and realized I could be printing with all 6 of my print heads instead of just the one. The films come out the same as before I was using the program, I just save a lot more ink now.

·
Registered
22 Posts
You also print films a heck of a lot faster using all print heads for black. nice when you've lots of jobs to output, the printers are cheap enough to dedicate to just film output, and maybe buy another for full color, and as a back-up just in case

1 - 16 of 16 Posts