T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
7,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Did anyone see this??? If you've been waiting to upgrade to a wide format printer, now may be a good time!! This is for a NEW printer, not a refurb.

$199.00 plus free shipping! :D

Here's the link... happy shopping:
Epson Stylus Photo 1400, Overview - Product Information - Epson America, Inc.

Honestly, Epson is listing the re-furbs for $210 in the clearance center.... lol, this new one is lower.

Hahaaa, question is, just how many Epsons can one girl possibly own, I've bought 4 in 6 months!!! Is there room for oneeee more, hmmm??? :D

·
7,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, the $199 is NEW. With FREE shipping.

The RE-furb on Epson is $210. Lol.

But yours is a good link when these run out.

·
Premium Member
27,700 Posts
Epson Website said:
Innovative Claria™ Hi-Definition Ink
I forget, are the Claria inks dye or pigment based?

Does it still matter?

·
Registered
53 Posts
im about to buy this printer and am wondering if anyone has used this discount code for 15% off or if it is not valid with other rebates.

7XYJAXFP "15% off any epson media products" (good through august)

·
7,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I forget, are the Claria inks dye or pigment based?

Does it still matter?

Hi Rodney,

The 1400's do come with the Claria dye ink, but it is a "water resistant" dye. (It seems that may be what is making it different from regular dyes.)

Where regular dye has faded for some folks, Claria is holding it color, like on Ironall Dark/Everlast Dk and Alpha Gold/JetWear, a Conde paper, Red Grid. Lol, I won't include JPSS in that list because that awesome paper holds regular dye ink, so it doesn't count.

Epson's regular photographic dye ink that comes in the 1280 isn't touted as "water resistant" dye, and it does fade. More and more users are working with Claria, and so far, the boards aren't filling up with complaints on Claria, so it must be going well.

Ivancuriel was one of the first users to forge ahead with it as his primary ink, and he's still using it as of this week and still says its great. Time and trials seem to be saying Claria is A-Ok... Still watching what's going on with it since it's still pretty new, but so far, so good.

·
Registered
53 Posts
this discussion is starting to clear up some confusion for me...so i can use the claria photographic dye inks sold on www.inkjetcarts.us? i was confused as i was told to get third party heat transfer ink and didn't know if the claria was considered heat transfer ink. as far as buying the claria inks from inkjetcart.us, do i fill directly into OEM cartridges or do i have to buy empties intially to use with the claria?

from everyone's experience, do you guys recommend a continuous ink system or is refilling the cartridges feasible? it seems time consuming and messy to me. and would something like this work? Continuous Refillable Ink flow system for Epson 1400 - eBay (item 220162371725 end time Aug-14-08 17:52:41 PDT)
or are these cheap and not recommended?

again, sorry for the stupid questions. i am new to this but am intrigued by the whole process and want to learn as much as possible while my printer and press are on the way.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I have a CIS from alpha supply on my 1400 and so far it's working well. As for refilling the carts, you will need to get refillable carts to do this.

·
Registered
53 Posts
thanks R1...now do you use the TransMagic pigment ink they sell or are you using ink from another site? is that possible? using a sytem from one site and ink form another?

does anyone recommend NOT using the CIS's on ebay like they recommend NOT using the presses.

·
Registered
383 Posts
thanks R1...now do you use the TransMagic pigment ink they sell or are you using ink from another site? is that possible? using a sytem from one site and ink form another?

does anyone recommend NOT using the CIS's on ebay like they recommend NOT using the presses.
They have a dye ink as well, that's what I'm using I think it's the same name (transmagic)

I stayed away from e-bay because this is one thing I did not want to have problems with. Most likely it could be the same CIS.

·
7,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
this discussion is starting to clear up some confusion for me...so i can use the claria photographic dye inks sold on www.inkjetcarts.us?
The name "Claria photographic dye" makes me hesitate. Really try to verify with the people on the site what product it is.... Claria is not being called a photographic dye ink by Epson. Claria is called Claria Hi-Definition Ink at Epson. The regular dye ink in a 1280 is called photographic dye, and that fades. So just check that for sure.

I know someone who is using Claria compatable ink (3rd party generic Claria ink). He is having great success with his ink. Here is a link to his post saying where he buys it:

http://www.t-shirtforums.com/heat-press-heat-transfers/t41837-3.html#post316604

If you go with the inks from inkjet carts just triple check it is the Claria compatable. The name you used is two different inks combined in one name... one will work, one won't.

i was confused as i was told to get third party heat transfer ink and didn't know if the claria was considered heat transfer ink.
That's because generally, the Claria isn't widely considered to be a heat transfer ink. It is thought of as such by the users who have tried it and had success, but for a long time, and across the board, pigment is the standard ink. HT pigment is a pigment ink that is made to withstand the heat of the press, so there is actually the standard pigment, like Durabrite, my ink, and another ink that is HT pigment. I've asked around about the differences between the regular pigment and the HT and the two main differences seem to be: 1. HT does not color shift 2. No color adjustments are needed to get the yellow tones out. 3. When printing a photograph with HT pigment, the black isn't a true black on photo paper.

Claria isn't formulated as an HT ink. It's a water resistant dye. It is also very new, which is why you don't see many users. As time goes on, and it proves itself in this arena, more folks may be comfortable with it and opt to use it as their main ink. Time will tell, but so far, Claria seems to get very good reviews from those who have used it. Who knows, in 2 years, the recommendations may be: buy pigment or Claria ink... have to wait to see tho. :)

from everyone's experience, do you guys recommend a continuous ink system or is refilling the cartridges feasible? it seems time consuming and messy to me.
Some use re-fill carts and some use bulk. The main thing is how much volume and how often are you going to print? Re-fill carts are less $ to get into, but they are not as cheap per print. If you are doing less volume, meaning you won't be printing everyday, re-fill carts are preferred by alot of people because they do not get clogged the way bulk systems do. Ivan mentions in his post he feels the refill cart system is clean, not messy.

The Bulk systems (cis-continuous ink systems) are more expensive to get into, but cost less per print (once you are past the inital investment). For high volume, daily printing, bulk ink is a great choice. The issue folks mention with bulk ink is if they do not print everyday the nozzles can clog, alot easier than with re-fill carts. Some folks just print something each day if they don't have a print job to do, just to keep the nozzles from clogging. Some run a nozzle check or something like that. I think someone said turning the printer on and off makes the nozzles flow. I don't use a bulk system. I don't use re-fill carts either, but for 6 months, like you, I have been researching them and gathering all the information and reviews trying to find the system that is easy, low maintainence, trouble free according to the users, and which is truly right for me.

One thing I consistently read is that the Ebay systems are not good, and folks will say that they used them, so it's more than an opinion. if you search "ebay bulk system" you will find the threads.

again, sorry for the stupid questions. i am new to this but am intrigued by the whole process and want to learn as much as possible while my printer and press are on the way.
:) No question is stupid... but I've said the same thing in many posts so I know how you feel, but seriously... there's no better way to find something out. :)

Good luck to you, I hope you find the system you are looking for... I think I found mine but have to be sure I don't want to add dye sub!! (If I could only make up my mind - I'd be doing alot better!! lol, girl thing I guess!) Take care! :)

·
Registered
53 Posts
thanks again kelly...

"I don't use a bulk system. I don't use re-fill carts either" - am i to assume you just buy replacement carts then?

1 - 20 of 46 Posts