T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking into setting up an Epson 1400 for printing film positives to burn screens and I have a few questions.

If I don't use an all black system but want to save the replacement of colour cartridges can I just remove the colour cartridges and use/replace only the black?
Will I need a chip resetter for this and if so will I need one chip resetter per cartridge?
If you do put black ink cartridges in each slot can you adjust settings manually to use ink from each or do you need a RIP programme to do this? Assuming the standard black cartridges actually fit in the other slots.

I haven't seen one of these printers so apologies for any stupid questions. I understand that you need the correct film and preferably Accurip but I am just staring out on this and want to get the basic hardware first.

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.

· Registered
29 Posts
We use PosInk in the Lt. Black and Lt. Lt. Black slots, don't hold me to that because I'm not in our office right now and can't double check that those are the slots. I know for sure that we only use two slots with PosInk, the rest of the cartridges are in place so that the print heads don't dry up. You can get the PosInk from Lawson Screen Print supplies and for the rest of the cartridges shop online to find some generic ones that you can refill, this will save you a ton of money in the long run. As for the chip resetter, you'll only need one for all of the cartridges. Our refillable cartridges are clear so that you can see when the ink is getting low, then we know that we have to refill them... this is the only thing you've got to pay attention too when using a chip resetter. After resetting a chip the printer thinks the cartridge is full when it really isn't, that's fine but you just have to make sure that you refill the ink before it runs bone dry or it could damage your machine.

· Registered
2,986 Posts
What I did (and it's worked GREAT) is to buy a set of refillable/auto-reset DYE cartridges off of ebay (it also came with dye ink and the syringes for refilling) for your R1400. Then, I bought a bottle of opaque dye ink made for screenprinters films from oversizedfilm.com and I use that in the matte black cartridge. When you set to print, you select BLACK. Everytime your turn on your printer it loses some ink by clearing it's heads. The colored inks are just dummy spaces as far as I'm concerned.......anyway, great inks and I've had NO CLOGGING ! And great highly opaque films.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.