T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an epson 1400 with the ink the comes with the printer. Can I use this ink for printing on mugs? If so do I need a certain type of paper or mug? Do I need to get a different printer to be able to do mugs/plates etc.. I also have a heat press that I will be using for the mugs.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
I have an epson 1400 with the ink the comes with the printer. Can I use this ink for printing on mugs?
While you can/could use a 1400 with sublimation ink, the ink at comes with the printer will not work.

If so do I need a certain type of paper or mug?
Mugs are sublimated (dye-sub) you would need the correct dye-sub paper, ink, to do this type of work.

Do I need to get a different printer to be able to do mugs/plates etc.. I also have a heat press that I will be using for the mugs.
Really.....yes you'd be better off with a printer like this.

Product Detail for 405679SK - DyeTrans.com

As far as a heat press, you'll need a mug press or wraps & a oven to dye-sub mugs, a normal heat press won't work.

A wealth of info on this process can be found here...

DyeSub.org - An educational site for dye sublimation and digital transfer printing.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. For the heat press I do have a mug heat press. I figured that I needed a different printer I was just hoping I didn't. Less money to spend. Well I guess I will put that off for awhile. Thanks for your help

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Thank you. For the heat press I do have a mug heat press. I figured that I needed a different printer I was just hoping I didn't. Less money to spend. Well I guess I will put that off for awhile. Thanks for your help
The best bet is the printer I listed in the last post, it uses gel sub ink with is less prone to clogging your print head.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
The 1400 will work. You just need different ink. The other printer just doesnt clog the jets as much. Call a sublimation supplier for what you need. Special paper to print to. Ink. Tape.
The sub inks are expensive. You will need to print on a regular basis to keep the head from clogging up. The is some software that will exercise the printer daily to help with this problem.

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
The 1400 will work. You just need different ink. The other printer just doesnt clog the jets as much. Call a sublimation supplier for what you need. Special paper to print to. Ink. Tape.
The sub inks are expensive. You will need to print on a regular basis to keep the head from clogging up. The is some software that will exercise the printer daily to help with this problem.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Please ensure that your mug has a polyester coating on it. Sublimation only works with polyester fabrics and polyesters coated surfaces.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts