T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi. i have a few questions about my new epson 1100. first, i want to have it all black, but if i install the color cartridges first and run them through, can i then switch them to black? or do you have to run all black from the get go? second, my main thing i'm going to be printing is transparences for screen printing. i've seen conflicting opinions on the matter, but which ink should i use for that? i have waterproof transpacences i'll be printing on. i can get the refill ink and refill the oem cartridges, correct?

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
You can switch to black after running the color carts. If you are doing waterproof then pigment. Dye for regular transparencies. I kept mine as a color pigment system and print using rich black for transparencies. I like keeping the pigment color just in case I need to print a vinyl transfer for some god awful reason lol. I think you will need to buy refillable carts or a ciss. I think refilling the oem is problematic due to the reset chips. Their might be a tool to do that but not sure. I like the ciss because I am used to them and dont like pulling the carts out more then I have to and can just pour into the tanks. If you go ciss get a quality one. That's about as much as I know. There are lots of threads for the epson wf 1100 and all this info is in there.

·
Registered
702 Posts
I have changed ink types in an Epson without any kind of flushing, but it is highly recommended to flush the printer with either cleaning solution, or just plain distilled water. You won't waste money buying cleaning/empty cartridges, because if your printer ever clogs you'll be happy you had them. There have been reports mixing dye/pigment inks together it may clog a printer very badly since the ink "curdles" due to different chemistry.

It is not recommended to continually switch back and forth though. So make sure you're committed to permanently making your printer all-black.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.