T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

could you tell me if EPS and PSD extensions stand for vector files or something else?

Thanks a lot

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys.

Fluid said:
actually eps can be both a vector or raster image.
Richard,
is there a way to differentiate those? What I am trying to ask is - when I am saving a file and have the choice of picking an extension, is there a way to make sure the eps referes to vector vs. raster?

Thank you very much

·
Registered
121 Posts
it's more a factor of the application that you are using to create the files.

photoshop can save eps files BUT they are not vector.

illustrator, freehand, and other drawing apps are used to make vector eps files.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So to make sure I got this right - I downloaded the inkscape software (I believe it's in the list of the drawing apps, like you mention below); now when I save a file in it indicating eps extension, that means it's vector.

??

baumwolle said:
it's more a factor of the application that you are using to create the files.

photoshop can save eps files BUT they are not vector.

illustrator, freehand, and other drawing apps are used to make vector eps files.

·
Premium Member
27,691 Posts
I downloaded the inkscape software (I believe it's in the list of the drawing apps, like you mention below); now when I save a file in it indicating eps extension, that means it's vector.
I think if you are CREATING a graphic in inkscape (or corel or illustrator) and the original design ORIGINATES in the vector software and is saved as EPS, then it will be a vector file.

If you open a JPG or PSD raster image in inkscape (or corel or illustrator) and JUST click the "save as EPS" option, then the raster image will stay raster.

To CONVERT a raster JPG or PSD image INTO a VECTOR, you would need to use one of the trace tools provided by the vector software and THEN save it as a vector EPS. Not just saving the raster original as an EPS.

I hope that helps a bit (and hopefully one of the graphics gurus will confirm that I explained it right :))

·
Registered
429 Posts
I'm in now way claiming to be a "Graphics Guru", but I can confirm that you explained it correctly, Rodney. :)

FYI:
EPS stands for Encapsulated Postscript. It's an exported file format created from a number of different applications that can be used in many different applications. EPS files can be both raster or vector depending on how it's created.

PSD stands for Photoshop Document. It's a native file format that can only be created with and opened with Photoshop.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks a lot guys. Makes perfect sense Rodney and very helpful.

OK so scan or open image, trace it, then do Save As.

:) Appreciate the help folks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts