T-Shirt Forums banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Not a SINGLE COMPANY/GOVERNMENT INSTITUTION or anybody else, can restrict you building your own DTG from any PRINTER as soon as you purchased it legally and remaking it in your own way!!! Printer belongs to you, and it's only up to you what you wanna make of it! I'm not discussing the case when you are building DTG for resale!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Yes, you are correct, every patent thinkable is based on commercial profits and goes against unauthorized individuals or companies manufacturing a certain technique or manufacturing particular products, or particular formula's, and selling such commercially. One's property is one's property though it has it limits as far as appearances in public and/or media goes, for instance one cannot mod a refrigerator to make it resemble a coca-cola refrigerator and use that same fridge publicly in its bar/store.

·
Registered
4,664 Posts
Although I agree with the statement above, that does not address the issue that Bob is discussing about. The dissemination of information that helps others infringe on the intellectual rights of another can be considered aiding the infringement. Way back when Jeff (German) first got started on this, I spoke with him several times. I considered selling a DIY kit and stopped because a friend of mine explained to me where he just told people how to trick on old satellite receiver to get more channels. The satellite company went after him for for civil damages and won. I investigated this issue more and found this to be true. You can look at a product and recreate it for your personal use. But you can't help others recreate it whether it is for profit or free. Otherwise, you open the door to being sued for patent infringement.

Some times it is better to be wise and avoid a lawsuit. In my opinion, Bob is doing the wise thing.

Mark

·
Registered
5 Posts
It seems as though the patent only covers traditional printing methods (which are slightly more cost effective), and not something of a CNC style setup where a printer head is mounted onto a 2 axis unit from above that does not use a platen whatsoever. The nature of that setup would be a lot more accurate, but slower, yet is a viably open option, again. A lot would separate the two, the only thing in common would be an inkjet atop and a printed garment.

As far as Mark's post above goes, it is true that you cannot aid another in recreation of a patented product outside of educational fair use (in the US). This whole forum and the now gone Wiki were OK under that because we were not going to sell them. Even kits may have been more OK to sell than you think. The satellite trick is only illegal because it is stealing a public utility under federal law.

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
The general consensus that most of us had is we wanted to respect the recent ruling, as this subject has been reviewed in the courts/patent review office after years of litagation.. seems the moving platen is the strong hold here.. If you look at the big picture there are several manufactures infringing currently and continually.. the folks continuing diydtg wanted to take the approach of adapting to a moving printer for the diy folks.. although i dont use dtg as i have switched to screen printing i have made the moving printer both ricoh and epson and its very simple to achieve... lots of stuff going on behind the scenes with the moving printer project with those involved and what you will be seeing is a dtg similar in nature to the freejet 320 however with and epson in its stock dress... the key is to adapt and move forward and this is whats happening far from the end of diydtg IMHO and i think it will continue and evolve on with new members as it has since the original c88 diy in 2007.. I praise those moving forward...:) I look forward to new ink technology, that will hopefully compare to screen print durability at some point and the addition of new pretreat technology aswell... I do think the dtg future technology will be much cheaper to obtain in its current state, but the question is will it sustain its value when everyone can have access at resonable cost? will there ever be a dtg that can hold its own against plastisol? Is it just a fad/same class as digital transfers? all questions yet to be seen as the tried and true durability of screening is hard to beat in both durability and cost....
Best of luck

·
Registered
104 Posts
I'm sorry to see the diydtgwiki end. I didn't visit the site a whole lot, but when I did I liked what I saw. In fact, I just tried going there to find a quick answering to a question. In my opinion, that site took all the best information of these forums and condensed it down to very accessible and easy-to-find information. Oh well, I will search through these forums to find my answer. Thanks Bob!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Its all part of the rich taking over and enforcing the poor to work under them. So much for the land of the Free and abiding by the Constitution.

A little here, a little there, and its Hitlers style tactics at work, arrested with no lawyer and sent away never to be seen again.

Get use to it or keep fighting.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Its all part of the rich taking over and enforcing the poor to work under them. So much for the land of the Free and abiding by the Constitution.

A little here, a little there, and its Hitlers style tactics at work, arrested with no lawyer and sent away never to be seen again.

Get use to it or keep fighting.

·
Registered
9,534 Posts
Mark,

Jeff was requested to remove his plans by Digital Image Systems. There are numerous explanations to moving platen plans which is the meat of the lawsuit. It would only be a short period of time before they would be looking to shut down the Wiki... This shouldn't prevent people from sharing data "wink wink." Perhaps they wouldn't have a sure legal footing but having to go to court over it doesn't sound like my cup of tea. I've lost interest. Time to move on...

Thanks, Bob ?;O)
I wouldn't let the bullies shut you down. They can't stop people from building machines, it's a scare tactic.
It is a legal tactic. I believe that they cannot prevent private parties to DIY a DTG for non commercial purposes but:

Lawsuits = time + money.

And worst, there is that possibility that you may lose.

Can i get a download link will download and upload to my site with direct links if someones wants it in pm will give a link for download.
As suggested, I think it is best to use non forum emails.

·
Registered
9,534 Posts
Not all files in a torrent site are illegal but some torrent sites have closed down due to legal problems related to copyright infringement. And the files that you are requesting was removed by the author to avoid possible legal complications. He was formally requested to do so. I believe private communication through emails(or anything outside this forum) is would be preferred. But clarify with the admin on this issue if you wish.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.