T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

I am trying to change out the encoder strip on my kiosk and seemed to have lost the spring. Just in case I can't find it is this a thing I can get from a local hardware store?

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
Hello Everyone,

I am trying to change out the encoder strip on my kiosk and seemed to have lost the spring. Just in case I can't find it is this a thing I can get from a local hardware store?

Even if you find a length that looks correct at your hardware store it may be too strong a tension or not enough tension. The encoder strip plays a crucial role in the proper performance of your printer. My suggestion would be to get the right spring.

Harry
Equipment Zone

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
I don' think that the spring strength is ultra-critical but they are easy enough to obtain.

The proper spring tension is important on the encoder strip. The encoder strip springs are cheap to buy so it's a good idea to have an extra one on your shelf just in case.

Harry
Equipment Zone

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys well its not the encoder strip just replaced it. I found the spring. I'm getting blinking lights. I'm learned that its either the encoder strip or something is causing the carriage to hesitate. I oiled the bars and cleaned everyting out. I even cleaned the encoder wheel. Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
5,275 Posts
That spring needs to be installed correctly if stretched out, bent and the strip is loose you will get errors.

Make sure there is no lint or dust on the back of the carriage where the encoder strip installs there is an " eye" back there. Canned air or line free cloth to make sure nothing is back there.

Make sure that the strip is installed correctly "S" facing upwards on the right had side.

When you oiled rails did you move the carriage back and forth with the new oil end to end?

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That spring needs to be installed correctly if stretched out, bent and the strip is loose you will get errors.

Make sure there is no lint or dust on the back of the carriage where the encoder strip installs there is an " eye" back there. Canned air or line free cloth to make sure nothing is back there.

Make sure that the strip is installed correctly "S" facing upwards on the right had side.

When you oiled rails did you move the carriage back and forth with the new oil end to end?
everything seems to be ok. when I do a status check it gives me a message that says Check all connections and make sure all devices are on. If the power was turned off during printing, cancel the print job. If the error does not clear, see your printer documentation.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So lets start from the beginning. what started all of this??
Well I was printing an order then it would stop printing in the middle of a print. Then I powered it off. and tried again. Cleaned the encoder strip. This seemed to help. Then eventually when I turned on the printer the carriage would move from left to right twice then on the 3rd time it would and still does stay on the left and that's when the lights blink. I have already replaced the motor

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sounds like the encoder strip is not going through the channel on the back of the print head or it's installed upside down or backwards...
Its definitely right side up. The only thing I can't account for is it being dirty right behind the carriage. I used canned air but not sure if that's the problem.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
I wipe the encoder strip with a paper towel soaked with windex. Move the carraige to one side of the machine and clean the strip, then move the head to the other side of the machine and clean the rest of the strip. Have you tried making sure it's right side up but swapping sides left to right?

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I wipe the encoder strip with a paper towel soaked with windex. Move the carraige to one side of the machine and clean the strip, then move the head to the other side of the machine and clean the rest of the strip. Have you tried making sure it's right side up but swapping sides left to right?
Well this particular strip has an "S" that goes on the capping station side of the printer. I did try it with the "S" upside down but switched it back the right way.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So you are good now?
No still down. I spoke with Tech support and they told me to look at the Ribbon Cable. The said it might have come loose but they also said to check for burn marks which would be an indication of a fried mother board. I will check on that in the morning but worst case scenario if it is where to I buy them?

·
Registered
5,275 Posts
No still down. I spoke with Tech support and they told me to look at the Ribbon Cable. The said it might have come loose but they also said to check for burn marks which would be an indication of a fried mother board. I will check on that in the morning but worst case scenario if it is where to I buy them?
SWF Mesa has the motherboards.. but there are ways around this but I strongly suggest you don't try and do this yourself.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts