T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The next step in the process is using a chemical called photo-emulsion to transfer the image onto the screen. It is not a complicated process, and the instructions for doing it are contained in the directions of the photo-emulsion kit. Just go to your screen printing supply store and ask for a screen printing photo-emulsion kit. This will probably set you back 20 bucks, and is the most expensive part of the whole deal. To "burn" the image onto the screen, you'll need a 150 watt light bulb and some sort of hanging light socket. I use a spotlight socket tied to a broomstick and suspended between two chairs. Whatever you use, be careful to follow the instructions on the distance you should suspend the light above the screen, and how long you should leave it on to burn the image in. This is the point where it is easiest to screw the screen up. If you leave the light on too long, you won't be able to clear the emulsion out of the image. If you leave it on for too short of time, the image will wash away.
At this moment, everything ok...

To clear the image out of the screen, I use the handheld shower head in my bathtub (I bought it for my tub specifically for the purpose of washing screens, but it also has a massage setting, so it's nice at all times anyway. A good excuse for a life of luxury!) Make sure the water is not too hot, or it will wash away all the emulsion from your screen. What you are trying to do is to wash the photo-emulsion out of the areas that were covered with the black on your transparency. The rest of the chemicals that were under the clear part of the transparency should be baked into the screen.
1 - If i understand, the image(channel-color) I printed on my FILMS will emulate on the SCREEN using Photo-emulsions kits.

2 -Wash the photo emulsions out of the AREAS that were COVERED with the BLACK... ( Must I paint something AROUND the emulated layer ? )

3 - If Yes, put the screen on t-shirt, and lay down $this.channel.ink with a squeedgee..

4- I have my first color.

5- Follow this procedure :) Y-M-C-K .. Allright ?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Now, I believe to have very understood.
1 - Print artwork
2- coat screens with photo-emulsions stuffs
3- wait about 50 minutes
4-face down films on screen, 1/4 thick glass over all.
5- halogen 200 watts 5-10 minutes
6- the emulsions create holes in the screens ( WHAT I NEEDED TO KNOW!!!!!!!))))
7-flash dry
8- print colors
9- wash the screen.

Am I allright?

Last question, how can i re-use my screens, if photo-emulsions make holes in it ? Exept for re-use for the same project i mean, i saw somewhere i can re-use them for another project..

·
Registered
11 Posts
the emulsion doesn't make a hole in the screen - it makes a hole in the dried emulsion ON the screen, but theres still mesh there. Once you expose and wash you'll see what i mean. you must reclaim screens in order to recoat and reshoot new stencils. i recommend using soy-based chems from fran-mar. generally its a 3 step process with a different chem for each step: remove the ink, remove the emulsion, degrease the screen, done.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thank you. Does the film should be placed right under the screen ? How i maintain it on the screen ? And if yes, which how much pressure? Does the screen had brackets or whatever?

·
Registered
69 Posts
By film, I'm assuming that you now mean the stuff you use to take the emulsion off your screen rather than the transparent printed film you use when you expose it.
The way we do it is we use a liquid concentrate stencil remover. We have a large tray with lips which we tip the liquid into and then we lay the screen emulsion side down into it. You don't need to apply pressure as the screen holds itself down on the flat tray. We leave it there to soak for an hour or so and then blast it with a pressure washer (like you'd use in your garden). Hope that helps! :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hmm, misunderstood ;)

When im ready to burn the artwork(film) to the screen.., where i must place the artwork(film) -> Right under the film and maintained by pressure ?, that what i mean :)

·
Registered
69 Posts
Oh, right, I get you now, sorry... :p

OK, the way we do it is we place the film over the screen (on the part that has been covered with emulsion) - remember to put it down as a mirror of what you want it to be - and then we place a sheet of glass over it. The glass will hold it down, making sure no light gets under the film - all you need is the pressure of the weight of the glass, nothing else.
Your exposure light will do the rest...

I hope I got it right this time ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts