T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK many problems arise with the emulsion im using.

1 Reclaiming is SO much harder. Is there a shelf life on Reclaiming acid? it seems it doesnt work very well anymore.

2 once i finally take all of the emulsion out, there is still "ghosts", but not of ink. actual emulsion. WTF?

Seems like the acid is worn out.

I have noticed that once i left my Acid outside, and it was barely even eating the emulsion away the next time. Anyone else?

ALSO, this might be the clincher, I used a de-hazer. }CCI i believe} and i DIDNT degrease afterwards. I remeber someone saying you didtn need to . Well, it effed me up, cuz there were SO many pinholes, and it was just a headache. IS this a problem i should avoid? { I already did on my new batch of cleaned screens}

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
227 Posts
ffokazak said:
OK many problems arise with the emulsion im using.

1 Reclaiming is SO much harder. Is there a shelf life on Reclaiming acid? it seems it doesnt work very well anymore.

2 once i finally take all of the emulsion out, there is still "ghosts", but not of ink. actual emulsion. WTF?

Seems like the acid is worn out.

I have noticed that once i left my Acid outside, and it was barely even eating the emulsion away the next time. Anyone else?

ALSO, this might be the clincher, I used a de-hazer. }CCI i believe} and i DIDNT degrease afterwards. I remeber someone saying you didtn need to . Well, it effed me up, cuz there were SO many pinholes, and it was just a headache. IS this a problem i should avoid? { I already did on my new batch of cleaned screens}

Thanks guys.
..... Are you using a pressure washer? if not, get one.... Can't imagine reclaiming screens without one... Money well spent..
I believe CCI emulsion remover is a liquid concentrate...if thats what your using ,perhaps its a bit too much diluted... I use re-claiming crystals dissolved in water and mix up a gallon at a time...so it sits around awhile between batches and havent had any problems with it losing strength.... Good Luck

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ive had a pressure washer for years. Great. Agreed, if ya dont got it get it.

I use a either soy based, ink remover, or a CCI one. Non soy.

Could it be the tape residue that is making the emulsion stick? I dont think, so, its in wierd patterns.

Basically, im sure its two things. One is that de hazer left on. Thats no good. I can see drips from when i rinsed it away, stained my mesh. Thats no good.

Also my acid is weaker. I havent diluted it at all. It says 1-10 you could go, i went with half and half, and tehn full on .
Still the same
It used to work GREAT, like in 30 secs, it was dripping off the screen!

Thanks guys.

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
ffokazak said:
Could it be the tape residue that is making the emulsion stick? I dont think, so, its in wierd patterns.
It sounds like you've probably diagnosed the problem, but as an aside I seriously doubt tape residue will cause a problem.

I mostly use cheap crappy brown packing tape on my screens (I need to switch to something better actually - the splitting when you peel this off is annoying).

Recently I had a particularly bad batch of tape. When I peeled tape off a set of screens, the clear plastic "backing" of the tape came off, leaving pretty much all of the stickyness/brown dye/whatever it is in tape that isn't the plastic strip :) (I always thought of tape as being just one strip, but this showed it's in layers, which makes sense).

Rather than sit there attempting to clean that off carefully before clearing the screen, I figured the stencil remover and pressure washer would take care of it. Sure enough, no problem at all. Residue and stencil both gone with no more than the usual effort.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Any experience with weak acid?
Shelf life?
Arrg i hate this emulsion.
Im changing to some blue stuff.
Gimme your fave emulsions and why, and I'll be your best friend!
Awww Cmon!
Puuu-leeze?
Aight!
Thanks guys and gals

·
Registered
227 Posts
ffokazak said:
Any experience with weak acid?
Shelf life?
Arrg i hate this emulsion.
Im changing to some blue stuff.
Gimme your fave emulsions and why, and I'll be your best friend!
Awww Cmon!
Puuu-leeze?
Aight!
Thanks guys and gals
Satti-Chem Photo Polymer Emulsion... It is smoother finish then Diazo's and Incredibly durable.Reclaims easy and can get 3 times the detail that I did with Diazo's...Down side: It cost about 50% more then Diazo and has an average of 8 times faster exposure time which computes to less room for error... My average exposure is 61 seconds....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts