T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I just received basically the starter KIT from RYONET. I mixed the emulsion and degreased my screen and got started as normal.

I let the emulsion sit for about 2 hours to release any air bubbles. I coated my screen and let it dry over night. The next morning I burned the image and washed it out. Almost immediately the shirt side of the screen started to wrinkle up. I thought I may not have left the screen on the exposure unit long enough so I make a new screen reburned it for longer. Same thing. I also notice the ink side of the screen started to have a white and semi-soapy residue. When I tried to wash this one out the entire designs started peeling right off. Any ideas?

·
Administrator
14,013 Posts
OK, well that's usually the culprit. Now you'll need to tell us, step by step, how you are preparing and burning your screen. You said you degrease and let dry. Then you stir and apply your emulsion. How many coats? Are you using a scoop coater? How are you exposing? How long? What equipment.

Emulsion washing out is usually an indication of underexposure.

·
Registered
612 Posts
I agree with everything Joe said, most likely too short of an exposure.

The one thing I might ad that I had trouble with when I was starting was drying the screens. You think its dry because the outside is dry, but sometimes the inside is not totally dry, and things go really bad about halfway through the washout. I finally figured this out when I was developing screens fine in the winter, and then when summer came around, I couldn't make a good screen to save my life. I added a dehumidifier to my drying area and all my problems went away. How's the humidity in Houston this time of year?

Good luck,
Nick

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Larry, I am in Houston. I have the same emulsion and a uv tube exposure unit similar to what you are using. What wattage are your bulbs?

The screens as mentioned either sound under exposed or not completely dry or both. Put a fan in your drying room. It will help dry those screens much quicker.

My last exposure was around 8 minutes on a 156 mesh coated 1/1.

Can you see your image after the burn?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I use a fan to dry the screens. I can immediately see my images with out a problem. The bulbs are 15 watt unfiltered UV black light and there are 8 of them.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My films are printed on inkjet transparencies. I print out 2 copies and stack them. They are very opaque and hardly let any light through.

·
Administrator
14,013 Posts

·
Registered
828 Posts
I have had problems with the emulsion looking like it's cracking.. it has to do with how long you are washing it out for I found. I wasn't using a pressure washer and was spending too much time trying to wash out my image.

I have switched away from using the pink DXP emulsion that Ryonet carries. I have 2 quarts still in boxes if anyone wants to buy them off of me. I have since switched over to SAATI Grafic HU42 and I'm very pleased so far. That's their all purpose emulsion and it exposed quicker than Pink emulsion and I find it to wash out much quicker as well. I am going to try Ulano's ProClaim next as it's also blue and is said to expose even quicker than the HU42.
I have never had any really good success with Pink emulsions. I really enjoy the Blue emulsions right now. It might just be the way my setup and steps are, but I havne't coated/exposed a bad screen with blue emulsion yet.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Some blue emulsion is pink- type, and vice versa. There is a pink qtx, and a blue chromablue. They both expose fast and build up thick stencils. If you dont fully cure the thicker stencil, it'll bust all up when washing out. The dual cure/ diazo emulsion types which can be blue or pink, take a longer time to expose, but you have a much wider exposure latitude and can usually hold better detail more consistent.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts