T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

Few quick questions so I can better understand things.

Drying racks...

Are drying racks used to hold the screen while the emusion is "setting up" (my understanding is that it take a bit of time for emulsion to "set up" before you can use it)

Or

Are the drying racks used to hold the screens after they have been washed or re-claimed.

Clearly I am trying to read up and learn about this industry. Any advice will help.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hey Ryan,

Everybody has their own definition of "Drying Racks' for me I made my own and I use them for both drying them after I reclaim them and for drying emulsion, once the screens are dry I coat screens with emulsion and rest them on the rack to cure over night, they are also good for storage to keep it out of the way when your done using them.

Hope this helps you

Kalz 13

·
Registered
283 Posts
I use them for both . . . built my own for cheap. Works great for drying the emulsion since it is recommended to have the screens shirt side down while emulsion dries. I usually coat 15 screens at a time so that way I have ready to burn screens. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
911 Posts
I do the same, dry after reclaim and coating. I also put a small space heater on low at the bottom and a vent hole on top to help them dry faster ..usually 20 minutes. be carefull you dont get it to hot tho'. I hear people use a dehumidifier to help and apparently works better ... i dunno, I still print in my moms basement =0)

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ive seen pics on this forum for tons a variations for screen racks. Is is necessary to keep them in a sealed environment? Or could they be in open air out of the way?

Im guessing that some keep them confined so that dust doesn't get on them...but I thought I would just ask anyways

·
Registered
283 Posts
Mine is made of a sheet of plywood some 1x2's and a black blanket that covers the front. Some people have just cut pieces of 1x2 and coat a screen and laid a 1x2 in between the screens until dry and store then in thick black trash bags until ready. Possibilites are endless.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Ive seen pics on this forum for tons a variations for screen racks. Is is necessary to keep them in a sealed environment? Or could they be in open air out of the way?

Im guessing that some keep them confined so that dust doesn't get on them...but I thought I would just ask anyways
You definitely want to keep dust out, but also keep them from exposing, my box wasnt sealed and screens would expose in 2-3 days with just the amount of sunlight coming in from under the door.. make it lightsafe if you want to store dried screens too.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Mine is made of a sheet of plywood some 1x2's and a black blanket that covers the front. Some people have just cut pieces of 1x2 and coat a screen and laid a 1x2 in between the screens until dry and store then in thick black trash bags until ready. Possibilites are endless.

I just use plastic bottle caps. That still leaves enough room between them for a fan to get some air moving above and under them.
I'll have to work on a rack soon though as I'm upgrading/enlarging my screening/prepping and darkroom area.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts