T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

Since i am new and still doing some trial for emulsion apllication i just want to ask if there is any substitute for trial on applying emulsion on to the screen for training purpose thats cheaper.

What can i use to do testing/trial for applying the emulsion to the screen?

hope this question dont offend anyone :D

· Registered
51 Posts
I haven't been to the forum in a while but when I saw this I feel your pain. Getting the correct angle of the screen, the correct angle of the scoop coater, the flow of the emulsion, the speed you pull the coater, and then trying to keep the damn thing straight can be quite frustrating.
I started by sitting in a chair with the screen held between my knees and tilted back 10-15°. I was then able to reach over the screen and hold the coater with two hands. This gave me a greater control of the coater's angle plus I had birds eye view of my flow of emulsion. There's nothing worse than having those heavy beads of emulsion up the sides or spilling that crap all over the floor (or into your shoe...;p).

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I haven't been to the forum in a while but when I saw this I feel your pain. Getting the correct angle of the screen, the correct angle of the scoop coater, the flow of the emulsion, the speed you pull the coater, and then trying to keep the damn thing straight can be quite frustrating.
I started by sitting in a chair with the screen held between my knees and tilted back 10-15°. I was then able to reach over the screen and hold the coater with two hands. This gave me a greater control of the coater's angle plus I had birds eye view of my flow of emulsion. There's nothing worse than having those heavy beads of emulsion up the sides or spilling that crap all over the floor (or into your shoe...;p).

LOL yes this seems to be my problem now. thanks for the input :D Its seems very easy looking at people doing it but when i tried it a few time i realise its not that simple

· Registered
2,132 Posts
My advice would be to learn how to coat one handed--I don't know any long-time pros who use a stand. It's just too slow.

The trick is keeping the coater level. (as pointed out with the emulsion in my shoe comment... Been there. :))

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My advice would be to learn how to coat one handed--I don't know any long-time pros who use a stand. It's just too slow.

The trick is keeping the coater level. (as pointed out with the emulsion in my shoe comment... Been there. :))

how long and how many times (roughly) did you tried before the process is been familiar with? :)

· Registered
2,132 Posts
I didn't have a problem picking it up pretty quick--I would screw up one out of every four to six screens the first few times I coated, but not paying attention followed me well into my professional career. Although at this point, the last time I dumped emulsion because I didn't keep the coater level was, I don't know, maybe six or seven years ago? It'll probably happen again sooner or later. :rolleyes:

It really all depends on you though. Maybe you'll never screw one up after you do it a couple times, maybe you'll still be screwing up after you coat hundreds... you never know till you do it.

· Registered
3,230 Posts
And all scoop coaters are not created equal. I've seen coaters that allow the leading edge to be enclosed at the ends and when tilted against the screen as it's pulled upward. Most pretty much have that but this one was more pronounced. How much emulsion should also be watched when coating and care tipping it back at the end of the pull.

Fooooo! +1 on the one handed.

Be careful what you speak into the cosmos. If I dump emulsion any time soon, I...I...I pity the Foo!

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yay........i tried this and it works like wonders...someone should put it up you tube so others can try it this way....it was way way easy cause i can see where the emulsion is going and i can see if the coater is straight............this is a very great tip :D thank you so much...will train my self this way until i am familiar and then will do it with stand and one hand........but no hurry as long as i can get the job done with good results i am very happy :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.