T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a “rule of thumb” for walk-in pricing? I started 10 years ago, for $4.00, which is obviously now too inexpensive. I have some that I know will never be back, some I know who would think I was too high at $8.00 per item or more. If the stitch count is high, I do go $10-$12. I have 44 pull over wind jackets, walk in, for a huge company, 5,000 stitches, that were all on the left sleeve. They bought the jackets from a company, and had the left chest embroidered, then sent to me because they did not offer embroidery on the sleeves. I had to take them out of the bags before stitching, but just folded when finished. The left sleeve is harder to hoop of course than a left chest. I am not a wholesale embroidery, but do take walk ins. I just hate trying to figure out how much to charge each time to each customer and thought there would be a “rule” of thumb. It’s crazy after 10 years that I still question this. I know everyone is different, but I always get, “you’re too expensive”, AND “you’re too inexpensive”. I do have the program set at $1.15 per thousand stitches, but always thinking that is for customers who buy from me. I always discount embroidery on folks who buy from me, and usually only charge $5-$6. I do work out of my home.
Thanks for your input.

Sally H. Hinski
13 Stitches, LLC

· Registered
290 Posts
Okay this seems to be the rule of thumb I find with BYO/walk ins they are looking for anyone to do it cheaper and not looking for someone of value. The second rule of thumb is Price it for time. Everyone uses stitchount as the rule of thumb but it isn't accurate. Stitchount is an old rule of thumb where the machines were punch driven and all the rest of the work was less important. The only reason it sticks around is because its easy to give pricing sheets based on it.... However it is highly innacurate overall.

Here is the rule of thumb for every business trying to figure out pricing.
What is your overhead? IE your rent, utilities, internet, payments, ect. Litterally everything. I just re read and your working out of your home... Than you have to assume that you are the only person paying any bills in the home and take on the entirety of that. The reason being is that doing it out of home is hobbyist unless you're ready to bear the full financial responsibility of it otherwise you cannot grow. But that is your monthly break even number. Then add in an additional profit margin IE what is your IDEAL monthly pay as the owner. Then add about 5-10% on top of that because s*$t happens that you have to spend money to fix.
NOW Take that number and Divide it by an average (or minimum) number of hours that you are producing product. IE working hours.
Usually 8hr days 5days a week 4weeks a month is the safe number or 160hrs
That is your hourly breakeven/profit point.

Now because you work from home I shake my head cause this is why i have such competition cause I am about to give you genuine advice even though I find it frustrating that youd charge so little...

Now that you have an hourly $goal you need time studies and math on production. IE. how long is it going to take/how much work is involved.

Finally... The time studies... i wont explain how to do them... here...

But you basically estimate how much time it will take to do work... than you take that Hourly goal and you plug it in and divide multiply.

Basically what do i charge?
What your time is worth.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.