T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
10,331 Posts
Yes, They are a PITA to do but yes. They have a much smaller top to bottom field but if you have the Tajimas that let you sew down to the bill you can do bigger designs.

· Registered
141 Posts
If you are referring to the bill of the hat. That has to be done before the visor is assembled. The pre-curved bill contains a plastic insert that prevents embroidery.

The actual visor itself is not a problem. We have a parameter in our shop that the design has to be between 25 and 30 millimeters tall. Anything bigger requires a certain brand of hat. Otto Cap visors we can go bigger and they are a dream to sew.

Most customers want to put 5 lbs. of s...t into a 1 lb can. You just have to tell them what your machine can do and let them make a decision.

· Registered
10,331 Posts
Just know you don't have a lot of real estate up there. And cap hoops do not allow you to get as low as the seam that attaches the bill. You will lose 1/4 to 1/2 inch.
The Tajimas are pretty good with getting down to the bill for their newer machines. I saw one of these at the ISS a few years back.

Reactions: splathead

· Registered
8 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I don't mean the bill. I mean the vertical part...
If you have access to the old style cap frame (before the wide-angle ones came out) then you can take off the top strap, lay a piece of stiff backing on it, and hoop them BACKWARD. Instead of the bill going to the back of the machine, it will be in front of the needles, and you'll not rotate your design. You can dig down almost the the bill itself by doing it this way. You really don't actually need that strap when doing them this way.

Attachments

· Registered
263 Posts
yes, but you only have 1.25" height for the design, so a lot depends on the design. if its a horizontal design it shouldn't be a problem, but if it has a lot of height, it may not be doable. a standard cap frame works fine for the visors. design should be digitized center out/bottom up, just like for a cap.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts