T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I want to hear your advices on my plan. I have no background on embroidery as well as cloth printing or anything similar to that. I jumped in this field as my wife who is a tailor just bought a alterations business which include a monogram service. The shop have Meistergram 900 XLC which have not been used and properly serviced for years. So when a customer come and ask for monogram service, my wife ask me whether should we do it or ask another embroidery shop to do it for us. I decided to do it and later found out the 900 xlc is very hard to learn. I went to craigslist and bought a brother PE770 as it have built-in design and lettering fonts. With this.machine and few hours of research, I am able to finish the customer. I also found that PE770 is very limited in lettering and embroidery. But the machine have USB port for importing external.design which prompt me to buy PE design software to unlock full capabilities of the PE770. Few months from my first design and from customer need, I felt PE design software is not enough for embroidery as its.lack of digitizing capability. So it took me to another level, Wilcom. I am able to do my first digitizing using Corel draw and convert it to embroidery. It was not easy at the first time but if you master Corel draw then I think more than 90% of digitizing work done, the rest is adjusting density, underlay, running...I am able to do all the customer need even with hat monogram with PE770.
In this Covid pandemic, even thought embroidery is likely my hobby (I did it at night) as I work a full day job, I want to start a embroidery business. I found this very good forum which all information that I need to learn. I intent to buy a full size embroidery machine. I knew one guy have Melco embroidery and I think that is good machine as it's stitches is more beautiful than my Pe770 (sorry I have not seen Tajima or Barudan stitches yet). I really want Barudan machine as I learn its the best.
Right now embroidery only take less than 5% the shop revenue but I see it as an opportunity for self-employment.
So a few questions I may ask for your advices:
I have really tight budget. I would buy new machine with finance. But I also want to buy used good one less than 10K. I bought Pe770 for $350 and it really good. I opened it and fix every thing when it went wrong. but for big machine cost more than 10K, its complicated and one mistake can cost the whole machine. Is there any recommendation.for used machines?
Second questions can you survive with retail customer. Like I said, right now embroidery just took less than 5% shop income which around $2-300 a month. How could I find more customers.
Third question is digitizing. I learn that many digitizing services out there and also knew somewhat about digitizing techniques. Should I apply for a embroidery job to get some real industrial experience in the embroidery field.
Thanks.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have really tight budget. I would buy new machine with finance. But I also want to buy used good one less than 10K. I bought Pe770 for $350 and it really good. I opened it and fix every thing when it went wrong. but for big machine cost more than 10K, its complicated and one mistake can cost the whole machine. Is there any recommendation.for used machines?
Second questions can you survive with retail customer. Like I said, right now embroidery just took less than 5% shop income which around $2-300 a month. How could I find more customers.
Third question is digitizing. I learn that many digitizing services out there and also knew somewhat about digitizing techniques. Should I apply for a embroidery job to get some real industrial experience in the embroidery field.
Thanks.
First of all, what mistake are you talking about that can cost whole machine. It's an embroidery machine not something you hit with a hammer to make it work. I own a Chinese made 6 needle single head, 1 happy 7 needle and a 4 head Tajima. Chinese one's makes crappy designs but they still work. Maintain and oil properly and it will last you a long time.
Second hand machine's are difficult unless u get them from authorized dealers or you know each and every machine part. You might end up getting a faulty one since you are still a beginner, better to get one with warranty.
In US/UK I have heard Melco is good machine, start with that. If you can find Japanese made Tajima or Happy those are really good. These are less than 10k for single heads. For used you need to ask someone locally.

Digitizing isn't something you can make do as you can with Photoshop, Your end result would look bad if doing complicated designs and not just monograms. Hatch by Wilcom is good starter software, It has auto-digitize capability. You can apply for an online embroidery digitizing class. There are enough online resources where you can learn, just need to commit to them.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Corel draw is not the digitizing software but you design in it then transfer it to wilcom.corel is only 10% of the understanding of digitizing. each fabric has different density, pull comp,needle, tension,and underlay. its not easy to learn and will take time.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts