T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it necessary to use a backing when embroidering names on a baby quilt? With the two layers of fabric and the batting in the middle they seem to embroider just fine without any backing, and it would be slightly less stiff. My concern is, would the stitches eventually work loose without using a tearaway backing, or is the three layers strong enough? Does anyone have experience with these?

Thanks in advance

· Registered
91 Posts
When I do baby quilts, I only embroider on 1 side. Then sandwich the batting between the pieces of fabric.

If I were to do it the way you are, I would still use a stabilizer to keep all the stitches locked and in place. I would even use a WSS on the top, just for added security and to keep the stitches clean.

FWIW
YMMV

· Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks so much for the help. Ideally the way you do it would be better, but I will be doing names after the fact and they will already be completed. My gut was telling me that using a tearaway would be wise, but didn't know for sure.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.