T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have a job for embroidered baseball caps to quote and I'd like some input on what you would charge.
I am struggling to put together a pricing cheat sheet as a guideline, but then I get some of these projects that have so many stitches the price seems out of whack.
I know it will take extra time on the machine & to me, the pricing seems to get too high, but maybe it is just me.
Here are the parameters of the project. Any input would be appreciated.
Cap Cost: $3.99
Stitches: 14,450
Qty: 12, possibly 24

Running on a single head embroidery machine.

Thank you in advance for your response.
Heidi

· Registered
10,343 Posts
Best case it will take 25 minutes to sew one hat if it is one location at 14K stitches. So maybe 6 hours for 12 of them. $15 each isn't unreasonable.

Reactions: Heidi H

· Registered
10,343 Posts

· Registered
152 Posts
Hello, I have a job for embroidered baseball caps to quote and I'd like some input on what you would charge.
I am struggling to put together a pricing cheat sheet as a guideline, but then I get some of these projects that have so many stitches the price seems out of whack.
I know it will take extra time on the machine & to me, the pricing seems to get too high, but maybe it is just me.

Heidi
I am in your same position - single head machine. I would charge at least $15. I've never had anyone blink at that price.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you everyone for responding. The price I was struggling with is in the $17's.

@binki I like how you broke it down. I guess I wasn't that far out of line, especially since @and3008 was in agreement with the $15 per cap.

@splathead It is a 2-Color job. 3 lines of lettering with an outline. Lots of text. Not a pretty job by any means. lol

I thank you all for taking the time to respond. I don't post often, but when I do, I appreciate the feedback and help.
Thank you & have a GREAT day!
Heidi

· Registered
10,343 Posts
Good luck. Run that sucker, save your profits and get a 4 head so you can make some real bank!

BTW, Letterman jackets are very profitable if you can get into that. You can make the same profit on one jacket as 12 of those hats in less time.

Reactions: Heidi H

· Registered
1 Posts
That's a lot of stitches! I would price it as such: Cap $8.00 plus embroidery $14.00 so total of $22.00. For quantity 24 drop it down to $18.00 for qty 12 make it $20.00
That cap costs $3.99 plus shipping. What if you ruin one or two caps in a 24 cap run? now you reordered 2 caps for $7.98 plus probably $9-$10 in shipping, lets call that $20.00
So you 12 cap order looks like this: Cost of caps and estimated shipping $60.00
Cost of Embroidery (Not including your time or part of machine price) $12.00
Total Cost $72.00
Sale price of 12 caps $240.00
Profit $168.00
Re-order 2 caps w/shipping $20.00
Profit $148.00
If you figure 3 caps per hour on one head your looking at 7 hours and 20 minutes to run this order, almost a FULL day! Now subtract your hourly wages, rent, consumers bill, taxes, insurance....

· Registered
1 Posts

Heidi
Hi Heidi,
You should be getting at least 1.50 per thousand stitches with a single head. You can give quantity price breaks after 3 pieces, but I wouldn't do any less. Running a 6 head and 2 singles, my pricing would be 5.75ea for at least 48 pieces, 75 cents more 24-47. But be nice and offer a smaller stitch count solution, if it's too high for them. All you have to sell is your time, and you also have overhead to take into consideration. The other option is to locate a local wholesale embroiderer in your area, and get a quote to have them do them, you add your profit margin to the price.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That's a lot of stitches! I would price it as such: Cap $8.00 plus embroidery $14.00 so total of $22.00. For quantity 24 drop it down to $18.00 for qty 12 make it $20.00
That cap costs $3.99 plus shipping. What if you ruin one or two caps in a 24 cap run? now you reordered 2 caps for $7.98 plus probably $9-$10 in shipping, lets call that $20.00
So you 12 cap order looks like this: Cost of caps and estimated shipping $60.00
Cost of Embroidery (Not including your time or part of machine price) $12.00
Total Cost $72.00
Sale price of 12 caps $240.00
Profit $168.00
Re-order 2 caps w/shipping $20.00
Profit $148.00
If you figure 3 caps per hour on one head your looking at 7 hours and 20 minutes to run this order, almost a FULL day! Now subtract your hourly wages, rent, consumers bill, taxes, insurance....
Good points that you make above. When you break it down like you did, it really helps to see why the cost is what it is.
Thank you for responding.
Heidi

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi Heidi,
You should be getting at least 1.50 per thousand stitches with a single head. You can give quantity price breaks after 3 pieces, but I wouldn't do any less. Running a 6 head and 2 singles, my pricing would be 5.75ea for at least 48 pieces, 75 cents more 24-47. But be nice and offer a smaller stitch count solution, if it's too high for them. All you have to sell is your time, and you also have overhead to take into consideration. The other option is to locate a local wholesale embroiderer in your area, and get a quote to have them do them, you add your profit margin to the price.
Cindy,
Good idea to offer something with less stitches. Once they see the price difference they may just make the change.
Thank you for your response.
Heidi

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.