T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
I'll upload them again tomorrow with more pics of my findings.

its a brand new machine, i managed to get the black all the way to the edges, after spending 4 days testing strips on different settings, and the best for no fading at the bottom or top was 160 degrees for 230 seconds and the pressure really tight, but then it browns in the middle of the strip.
Interesting you can get it to sublimate at 160 degrees, you must mean Celsius? = 320 Fahrenheit ? Even then 320 is pretty low.

Looking at the photos will help.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
I got mine from a different source. It could still be bad coating on yours too. Mine only happens on the bottom of the mug , even when i put it in backwards. This is with mugs from Coastal Business, Image Right paper,Cobra Inks,Mpress Mug Press @ 400° F and 180 seconds. Here is what mine looked like.
Part of the problem is that the bottom of the mug is thicker and takes a bit longer to get to the 400 f. Also the very top of the mug can be your press not getting hot enough at that outer edge or pressure as well. I keep all my designs at least a quarter inch from top and bottom and don't have those problems. I tried the all over approach many years ago when I started and decided it wasn't worth all the bad prints and adjusted fire and haven't looked back. There may be other reasons for your problems and I hope others will chime in but those were mine.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
That's exactly what I did was move it off the edge by 1/2" and it turned out perfect. Just wanted to have complete coverage. I may try more time, or just buy better quality mugs and see if that helps.
Another option is to do a fading or distressed border that gives the illusion of taking up most of the mug. It can also hide any small blemishes. Another is just placing a thin border around your work to frame it in and doing things like this mug I found on the net, notice how the bat and the pumpkin overlap the border and seem to come out of the graphic?...appears to be taking up the space better and doesn't define the white space so much. If this were mine I would have made the pumpkin and bats just a bit more noticeable and had more bats flying off the top side to distract from the bottom....

Attachments

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Im a perfectionist tho, and i dont want to have to compromise what people ask for.
Hi Ema, I hear you and probably so does every other printer on this forum.... your new...and I'm not wanting to sound like I'm discouraging you...please, go for it, but we all have been in your shoes. Not criticizing or bashing here....but we will see if you have the same mindset in a year :eek:) I have just certain jobs that I have to be critical on...the majority you will find you place way too much time in designing and being perfect with every print. you will learn the shortcuts, you will have to. and the customer will never know. as far as the comment about the border....never had one print bad...been printing sublimated mugs and plaques since 2006. Hope you have as good results! Good luck.
There are a lot of good people on this board and they will give good advice so keep asking the questions and experimenting. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.