T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, im new to sublimation, ive started with mugs.
Using a mug press, set to med pressure, 170 degrees for 45 secs (ive tried more pressure, different times, 60 secs makes the black more brown)

I got a good black oblong sample:

[media]http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d19/AdrenalinTops/11992137_10204483537719693_571287924_n_zpsho2wzyeo.jpg[/media]

So went for the full print but got this, faded at the bottom and element pattern marks at the top:

[media]http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d19/AdrenalinTops/11992460_10204483538839721_1595185751_n_zpsgvbe4dlu.jpg[/media]

[media]http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d19/AdrenalinTops/11997370_10204483539279732_431843860_n_zpsfxfgnkq0.jpg[/media]

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'll upload them again tomorrow with more pics of my findings.

its a brand new machine, i managed to get the black all the way to the edges, after spending 4 days testing strips on different settings, and the best for no fading at the bottom or top was 160 degrees for 230 seconds and the pressure really tight, but then it browns in the middle of the strip.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Yeah 160 degrees celsius. 170 burns it too much and sends most of the middle of the black strip brown.

Ive uploaded a pic of the black patch that looked ok (170 degrees for 45 secs, loose pressure), at the patch at the top of the mug.

So i did the batman mug at that temp and the pics show the results.

So i tried about 45/50 different settings over 4 days now.
The list is all the settings ive tried and the results.

And the patches on the mug show the progress i was making the last few days. (I didnt use full strips on this one as had a small strip printed off and didnt want to waste any more ink, as ive already wasted 8 mugs so far)
I did 2 other mugs, and the black was kinda transparent or brownish, so the pic i uploaded is the one i was getting the better results on. Due to been put back in the press numerous times some of the patches have gone lighter and more brown than they were when first done.

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
At 160 for 230 seconds i can get away with doing text, but i can still see its , more a brownish colour in the middle of the text.
I did the crazy mug yesterday. I dunked them slowly in room temp water to try and stop the browning a bit.

The other mug you can see on his jumper that it goes brown towards the top. The dark splodge is me covering a bottle that was there and i forget to blend the black in so ignore that bit lol. And i added two white stars to the pics to not offend anyone in here. its the only other example i have at the mo.

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Where are you getting your mugs? I am having a very similar problem at the bottom of the mug only. I can turn my mug the opposite way I normally put it in (top at the bottom) and it still occurs at the bottom of the mug. Which leads me to believe it is a coating problem.
Hi, my dad got them from Ebay, he's on holiday at the mo so i cant ask him who he bought them off. Ive had fading at the top aswell but more at the bottom.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Where are you located? Is there a heat press supplier or even another business that does dye sub on mugs near you? Maybe a little business to business consideration to let you test your mugs in their press.

I don't know anything about who you bought your mug press from. Maybe it is bad. When I got my standard 12x15 heat press last year, I had to replace my platen after the 3rd time I powered it on. Been great ever since, but problems can occur with new equipment.

Good luck.
Yeah i have a friend who prints mugs, t-shirts etc. I printed off for him the other day 2 A4 sheets with my paper (that he gave me) my ink and my printer, and he used it to sub a chopping board, but it faded around all the edges with him, and he said he had to put it back in a few times for 30 secs longer than he usually does.
But i dont think its a case of the ink not printing to the edge of the paper properly as when i used the black strips to test they were from all around the paper.

Doesnt the black turning brown mean the middle of the mug is getting too hot in the middle? I might try 180 again but for shorter times and see if it improves. I just dont want to waste any more mugs at the mo, wasted 8 originally testing on them, then i sold 8 last week and 6 of them got smashed in the post, so i put in claims but if i loose the claims ill have to either make more or refund, and im just starting this as a hobby and im on a budget when it comes to buying more materials.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Another option is to do a fading or distressed border that gives the illusion of taking up most of the mug. It can also hide any small blemishes. Another is just placing a thin border around your work to frame it in and doing things like this mug I found on the net, notice how the bat and the pumpkin overlap the border and seem to come out of the graphic?...appears to be taking up the space better and doesn't define the white space so much. If this were mine I would have made the pumpkin and bats just a bit more noticeable and had more bats flying off the top side to distract from the bottom....
Im a perfectionist tho, and i dont want to have to compromise what people ask for, i want to be able to do a full black graphic mug if asked for one :-( I dont want to be distracting from mistakes, but the border idea is an effective one to use on certain designs. But if the black border didnt print properly youd still notice it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I have crafted for yrs, and im always a perfectionist whether its a glitter glass, a crocheted blanket, a knitted cardigan, a decorated candle, just the way i am, id rather give my best every time. I just dont want to have to say to someone 'no you cant have that design cus i cant do it how you want it'.
The machine is under warranty so i might see what they have to say. In their instructions it says 180 - 200 degrees C for 200 - 300 seconds. So i tried different combinations of that and the black writing came out brown.
The customer will notice faded edges on the top and bottom of a block design

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.