T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, im new to sublimation, ive started with mugs.
Using a mug press, set to med pressure, 170 degrees for 45 secs (ive tried more pressure, different times, 60 secs makes the black more brown)

I got a good black oblong sample:

[media]http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d19/AdrenalinTops/11992137_10204483537719693_571287924_n_zpsho2wzyeo.jpg[/media]

So went for the full print but got this, faded at the bottom and element pattern marks at the top:

[media]http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d19/AdrenalinTops/11992460_10204483538839721_1595185751_n_zpsgvbe4dlu.jpg[/media]

[media]http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d19/AdrenalinTops/11997370_10204483539279732_431843860_n_zpsfxfgnkq0.jpg[/media]

·
Registered
492 Posts
I also do some mugs , but I use 400* at 2.5 minutes in a mug press . There are a lot of things to consider
Transfer paper , Ink , time , temp , process ( how and when you remove the paper or cool the mug )
Good luck keep trying you will get it
Larry

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
We had the same issue and subbed 70 or so mugs all a little light at the top and the bottom. The next run the problem got much worse, a new heat blanket was installed and no more problems at all. :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'll upload them again tomorrow with more pics of my findings.

its a brand new machine, i managed to get the black all the way to the edges, after spending 4 days testing strips on different settings, and the best for no fading at the bottom or top was 160 degrees for 230 seconds and the pressure really tight, but then it browns in the middle of the strip.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
I'll upload them again tomorrow with more pics of my findings.

its a brand new machine, i managed to get the black all the way to the edges, after spending 4 days testing strips on different settings, and the best for no fading at the bottom or top was 160 degrees for 230 seconds and the pressure really tight, but then it browns in the middle of the strip.
Interesting you can get it to sublimate at 160 degrees, you must mean Celsius? = 320 Fahrenheit ? Even then 320 is pretty low.

Looking at the photos will help.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Yeah 160 degrees celsius. 170 burns it too much and sends most of the middle of the black strip brown.

Ive uploaded a pic of the black patch that looked ok (170 degrees for 45 secs, loose pressure), at the patch at the top of the mug.

So i did the batman mug at that temp and the pics show the results.

So i tried about 45/50 different settings over 4 days now.
The list is all the settings ive tried and the results.

And the patches on the mug show the progress i was making the last few days. (I didnt use full strips on this one as had a small strip printed off and didnt want to waste any more ink, as ive already wasted 8 mugs so far)
I did 2 other mugs, and the black was kinda transparent or brownish, so the pic i uploaded is the one i was getting the better results on. Due to been put back in the press numerous times some of the patches have gone lighter and more brown than they were when first done.

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
At 160 for 230 seconds i can get away with doing text, but i can still see its , more a brownish colour in the middle of the text.
I did the crazy mug yesterday. I dunked them slowly in room temp water to try and stop the browning a bit.

The other mug you can see on his jumper that it goes brown towards the top. The dark splodge is me covering a bottle that was there and i forget to blend the black in so ignore that bit lol. And i added two white stars to the pics to not offend anyone in here. its the only other example i have at the mo.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
The problems on the second day for us hopped all over the mug. You would think a faulty heating blanket would burn out in specific areas, ours just acted crazy, we held our breath crossed our fingers but still unpredictable results. With a new heating pad and it got so easy we just quit thinking about it. :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Where are you getting your mugs? I am having a very similar problem at the bottom of the mug only. I can turn my mug the opposite way I normally put it in (top at the bottom) and it still occurs at the bottom of the mug. Which leads me to believe it is a coating problem.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Where are you getting your mugs? I am having a very similar problem at the bottom of the mug only. I can turn my mug the opposite way I normally put it in (top at the bottom) and it still occurs at the bottom of the mug. Which leads me to believe it is a coating problem.
Hi, my dad got them from Ebay, he's on holiday at the mo so i cant ask him who he bought them off. Ive had fading at the top aswell but more at the bottom.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I got mine from a different source. It could still be bad coating on yours too. Mine only happens on the bottom of the mug , even when i put it in backwards. This is with mugs from Coastal Business, Image Right paper,Cobra Inks,Mpress Mug Press @ 400° F and 180 seconds. Here is what mine looked like.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.