T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!
This is my first post here in this fourm.
I am new in this business. I am looking for office/warehouse for my screen printing shop and want to know about the electricity requirement. Do I need 1 phase or 3 phase electricity supply? I am buying Auto Sportsman from M&R.
Any suggestion?

·
Registered
274 Posts
yeah i dont know what the phases mean... but...

for any good sized electric drier, you will need a 240V box installed for sure. make sure the breaker box can handle it- or you'll need to get another one of those too.

but, if you're going to get a warehouse, it's my hope for your sake they all ready have a 240V box installed. i mean, it IS a warehouse...they need it!

hope that helps?

·
Registered
9,301 Posts
The spec for your equipment will tell you if you need 3 phase or not.

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
anyone using backUP gas -- hydro generators ?

a few times we had power outages for days even a week with an ice storm and every time that happens it sets us back... i say i will get a back up generator then the power comes back on and i forget about.

.....just remembered thought. :eek:

any one using backup power units ?

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
SuperbPrinting said:
Do I need 1 phase or 3 phase electricity supply?
For every piece of equipment you'll need to run a screenprint shop you can get a single phase version. So you don't need three phase. That said, you can use more powerful equipment if you have three phase, and (at least here) the cost of the equipment is sometimes the same (i.e. single phase and three phase version cost the same amount, but the three phase version is more powerful).

·
Registered
9,301 Posts
T-BOT said:
anyone using backUP gas -- hydro generators ?

a few times we had power outages for days even a week with an ice storm and every time that happens it sets us back... i say i will get a back up generator then the power comes back on and i forget about.

.....just remembered thought. :eek:

any one using backup power units ?
I would think if you got a backup power supply like a gas generator you will need to make sure it can put out the watts you need. You will need to add up all your equipment that will run at the same time and add a buffer, otherwise you won't have enough power to run everything.

Solmu said:
For every piece of equipment you'll need to run a screenprint shop you can get a single phase version. So you don't need three phase. That said, you can use more powerful equipment if you have three phase, and (at least here) the cost of the equipment is sometimes the same (i.e. single phase and three phase version cost the same amount, but the three phase version is more powerful).
Also consider if you use 3-phase power you will probably be on a demand rate for electric rates and will pay for both watt usage and demand. Simply put, a higher rate.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
I'm not familiar with the phase naming system, but I know from experience that two flash dryers will blow the circuits of any standard set up.

·
Registered
7 Posts
3-phase is usually standard on larger auto presses. You usually want 3phase if you can get it. The cost to buy a convertor from 3-phase to 1 phase (110/220 regualr power) can be steep - I think about $500-1,000. In the long run 3-phase will save you money in the way it uses power more efficiently and also in the way most power companies calculate your bill. It also allows you to have deciated line of service that limits power hiccups or anything else in your shop affecting it electronics. The down side is that not many places have 3-phase wired in and to do so requires skilled (read expensive) electricians and other hassles.

I think the Sportsman you are looking at comes with 1-phase standard
(dont' t quote me on that!). It is designed for the smaller shop/operation. 3-phase would be nice if the building already had it and there was no extra cost to your press. Sportsmans are even design to fit through a standard 36" doorway so they expect the users to be using standard 1-phase power.

Daxman

·
Registered
7 Posts
As the others have said, 3 phase is good if the location of shop has it. You will be able to run any equipment you have with 3 phase power on site - whether it is 3 phase or single phase - 220 volt or 110v (naturally). With 3 phase power, the same voltage, and the same load (machine), you will draw less amperage than using the single phase supply. The less amps being used, the less money it will cost you to run it. The lower the amperage the less it costs, also, to hook up with materials. The difference in the Sportsman 8/6 with pneumatic printheads, 208v 1 ph @ 10 amps and 208v 3 ph @ 7 amps, Is really not too much of a difference - both will be run on a 15 amp circuit. Then you get into the 8/6 with electric printheads and we see a change - at 208 1ph, we get 27 A. which is pushing a 30 amp circuit, at 208v 3ph, it's 17 amps, which hopefully will only require a 20 amp circuit. Take a look at the next voltage which states 400 volts, I've never heard of this voltage before, in the US the next voltage up the line would be 480v and if your location had that 3 phase configuration, it would only draw 10 amps. Thats a big difference than 27A. Of cousre, the difference in price of the printer will make a deciding factor. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
does 550 and a Transformer mean anything to you folks ? someone mentioned this to me and i have no idea what they are talking about. :confused:

Also, any one have backup power generators, is it worth the expense ?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts