T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I just applied for my NY State tax ID and also my EIN today because, when I was on the phone with a TSC customer service rep, he told me that I needed both to set up an account and that just my social security number would not be enough even though I have no employees and do not plan on having any. But now, I feel like I have read that the EIN isn't necessary. Does anyone know if this is true? Did I get an EIN when I didn't need to??
EV

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Evie,

I believe the EIN registers your business with the federal gov, the State ID registers you with your state government, both are for tax purposes, although the state ID gives you the ability to set up wholesale accounts, but also makes you liable to collect/report sales tax to your state.

Even though you won't have any employees you still need the EIN, in a lot of cases the state requires it before they will give you the state ID, just two branches of government covering each others A** IMHO.

Not sure about NY but you may also need some kind of permit/license from your local/city/county government also.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the info guys. all this stuff can be so overwhelming. So glad there is a site like this one that we can ask questions about it!!

·
Registered
8,082 Posts
Banks in CA do NOT require an EIN...that is necessary if you are incorporated or a partnership. I have been in business for over 10 years...I am sole proprietor and use my SSAN for fed/state income tax and have a sales permit to collect sales tax and that has a different number...best to just call your local taxing authority and they can give you straight answers. as to bank account..if you have a DBA then you register with local county(at least in CA) ..publish in local legal paper...take the filing and proof of DBA filing to bank and open bank account in the business name

1 - 5 of 5 Posts