T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've found one american company called tsdesigns, who have a printing technique called rehance, which they claim is ecologically sound, but there minimums are high and it's expensive. also, i'm in london (uk) and it would seem to be missing the point of ecological clothing if i were to have them shipped over.

i want to print white on black, with the same look and feel as discharge, but without having to use nasty chemicals. i'm also planning to use a bamboo/organic cotton mix for some.

any help would be gladly accepted.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Rodney said:
Hi Fortino, welcome to the T-Shirt Forums!

It sounds like you want water based ink screen printing :)
thanks rodney.

i dunno, i've been screenprinting with water based for the last three years and i always find the t-shirt colour shows through when printing light on dark, and it doesn't stretch with the fabric. i also think their must be a more ecological way of printing out there than water-based, which still seems hazrdous and wastes tonnes of water.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Toms Tees said:
And how is this better or worse than plastisol?
We currently use Rehance technology to print our shirts. Aside from the environmental benefits of the process, water-based inks wont crack or peel like you see with plastisol over time. Also the designs only fade with the fabric, essentialy the wear on the tee is 'uniform' over time. The designs wont fade faster than the fabric color.

·
Premium Member
27,689 Posts
How permanent is water-based ink after it is heat set?
As permanent as plastisol ink.

And how is this better or worse than plastisol?
Some would say the "hand" is better, since you can't feel the ink on the shirt. The ink actually seeps into the fabric. It also seems to stretch with the shirt well.

I think water based inks are a bit more environmentally friendly than plastisol.

i dunno, i've been screenprinting with water based for the last three years and i always find the t-shirt colour shows through when printing light on dark, and it doesn't stretch with the fabric.
That's weird. Have you purchased any t-shirts from www.oddica.com ?

They use water based inks and I recently got a few t-shirts from them.

One was white ink on a navy tee. The white looked white and was perfect.

One was a brown tee with a 3-4 color design on it, and it came out without having the shirt color showing through.

One was on a ribbed thermal shirt and the design stretches perfectly with the shirt.

Maybe it's just a matter of using the right inks and modifying the process to get water based inks coming out right. The shirts from oddica look great.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Webby, Do you work for the Rehance Company, or do they print your shirts?

Great Website, Great Video....Love the Photovoltic Cells, Windmill, and the toilet that gathers water from the condensation off the airconditioners...WOW, talk about Conservation Minded.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Toms Tees said:
Webby, Do you work for the Rehance Company, or do they print your shirts?
They print our shirts.. I've known the president of TS Designs for some time now, they are located in Burlington, NC which also happens to be right next to where I went to college (Elon University). They are extremely conscious of their impact on the environment and seriously take every step feasible to minimize it.

The history of the company is very interesting, they use to manufacture most, if not all of Nike's t-shirts and many of the other big brands, until Nike and others began outsourcing globally. They went through an awakening period and have truly re-invented themselves not only by promoting organic cotton but also with their 'new' Rehance technology.

They are great to work with, and would recommend them to anyone looking to improve the way you print your shirts. I'm glad you checked out their website and videos.. a company that is very comparable to the way Patagonia runs their ship.

·
Registered
722 Posts
i do digital printing for my own line and for other private labels. we currently are doing printing for a line called eco-centric. digital printing is the most eco-friendly way to go for shirts. we also are able to digitally print bright whilte on dark shirts without using any plastersol. it IS a more expensive way to print, (depending on the print it can get up to twice as much) but if it helps the enviornment, hey why not?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
deana
thanks for replying. am i right in assuming digital printing is for lengths of fabric rather than garments? who does your printing? and what are their minimums?

are you certain digital printing is better ecologically than rehance, bearing in mind dye options too?

thanks in advance

·
Registered
722 Posts
we do the printing ourselves. we are a complete inhouse operation (except for the garment dyeing) we have the digital printer here with us. we are working on our own line, but we also do private label for other companies. we've done things for disney, true religion, and blood is the new black to name a few companys we've printed for.
we're able to print onto a complete tshirt or panels. but honestly the panels are so much easier to print vs garment because with a garment, we have to worry about seams and the print head crashing into it. (once it crashes, we basically gotta shell out $$$ for a new one to replace it) with the panels, we can set the print head much lower for finer detail. the white ink is a bright white, its amazing. its acts like a silkscreening flash, but its a waterbased ink. the main ingredient is titanium dioxide, so its not without chemicals, but its so much more eco friendly then plastersol. there is a slight hand w/white ink, but its very very soft, and it stretches w/the fabric. you do not need to silicone the printed garment after its been printed. its that soft. just a regular old garment wash is all u need. im almost certain that digital printing is friendlier than rehance. the woman whos eco-friendly line we are printing for said she had extensively researched that subject for months before she found us. the cmyk color inks are waterbased pigment dyes. and with the elimination of siliconing the garments makes it one step friendlier then other methods. last week we test printed her garments before she took them to dye, and we actually just recieved an email from her saying that the shirts dyed beautifully even after printing. if u want more information about this, i can have Dave, the president our company call you for further information and answer any more questions u may have. he knows a bit more of the details then i, i understand the machine and use it myself to know its capabilities and what it has to offer, but i think Dave can help you out a bit more.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.