T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am toying with idea of trying to sell some of my prototypes on Ebay. I have been experimenting with new shirts and will be switching mills, but have my initial printed shirts in inventory. Designs won't change..just the shirts.

I have not launched my real website because I am refining the site and product. Has anyone used ebay to start, move prototypes, build brand, etc.

I'm concerned it could cheapen my brand, but I don't intend to use my current mill any longer. Help please with your thoughts and/or experience.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I started selling heat transfer shirts on ebay september of last year using a hand iron then upgraded to a homemade press bought from ebay made from an electric skillet. Now I have 2 11x15 phoenix heat presses 3 employees (slacker friends from highschool) and a an establised brand (Muncheys-Highly rocommened) all from selling on ebay. I think ebay is a good way to market your t-shirts people go to ebay to buy or sell and they have 168 million members Worldwide and growing. Also they market their listings on all the major search engines you can always find an ebay listing in any or all the searches you make. This is all the marketing I do just list shirts on ebay everyday and leave the hard work to my friends.

By selling on ebay I have been able to quit my job employ my friends and goof around all day and do whatever I want.

But here is the best idea I ever had, I am going to rent an office work space put a living room set in the office with a plasma with all the game consoles. Move my friends up to management positions (ha,ha) and then hire super hot girls to make the t-shirts.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Rodney:

I followed your recommended thread and found alot of useful information.

Thanks also to Muncheys:

I also found ideas through your experience. You and I have similar goals for our business and the working environment we create. Not sure my wife would like it though.

Good luck Brian!

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
What kind of quantities are we talking about here? Could they be useful to keep on hand for samples and free promos, or are they too radically different/too numerous for that to be useful?

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
Muncheys said:
I started selling heat transfer shirts on ebay september of last year [...] By selling on ebay I have been able to quit my job employ my friends and goof around all day and do whatever I want.

Would I be correct in my assumption that your movie shirts are not officially licensed? Have you been putting aside money for the lawsuit?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
These are small quantities abot 18-24 per design. The shirt blanks are different enough for me to consider the first rounds as prototypes... Basic Tees VS Garment Dyed....etc. If I can't break even on them on ebay, I will probably use thrm for promotional giveaways as suggested or as smaples for marketing. Thanks agin for the thoughts.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Muncheys said:
I started selling heat transfer shirts on ebay september of last year using a hand iron

That's one of the main reasons the tshirt market nearly collapsed on eBay......

While iron-on transfers are fine for certain applications, reselling isn't really one of them. It makes people doubt the quality of "heat press" shirts, as the two become confused in a buyer's mind (most of whom are of course outside the industry, and therefore don't know the semantics).

While you've moved beyond that now, and I applaude you for that, I'd seriously warn off anyone else entering through the iron-on market....just for the sake of people using heatpress as their method of choice, and having that image tarnished.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Muncheys said:
I started selling heat transfer shirts on ebay september of last year using a hand iron then upgraded to a homemade press bought from ebay made from an electric skillet. Now I have 2 11x15 phoenix heat presses 3 employees (slacker friends from highschool) and a an establised brand (Muncheys-Highly rocommened) all from selling on ebay. I think ebay is a good way to market your t-shirts people go to ebay to buy or sell and they have 168 million members Worldwide and growing. Also they market their listings on all the major search engines you can always find an ebay listing in any or all the searches you make. This is all the marketing I do just list shirts on ebay everyday and leave the hard work to my friends.

By selling on ebay I have been able to quit my job employ my friends and goof around all day and do whatever I want.

But here is the best idea I ever had, I am going to rent an office work space put a living room set in the office with a plasma with all the game consoles. Move my friends up to management positions (ha,ha) and then hire super hot girls to make the t-shirts.

I'm glad that eBay has been so good to you; it's a terrific source, and often over-looked as "a flea market", which it certainly isn't anymore.

I'd love to know how you've set yourself up economically. How do you afford three employees on 144 sales a month? You sell between $12 and $14. So lets say you make $10 profit a shirt. That's $360 a week profit a week. Do they work part time for you? Once you've entered the world of more than a couple of employees, how are you handling things like insurance? And medical? And taxation?

And why do you need 2 heat presses for 5 shirts a day? I'm no heat press expert at all, as I've always screenprinted (although I hope to become one when i win the heat press competition :) ), but isn't that a little overkill in equipment?

Also, I'd be very careful about setting up a store based on possible trademark infringments, 90% of the trademarks you're *potentially* infringing belong to only two or three different umbrella companies. And they are all on Vero (eBay's inhouse watchdog). Before quitting your job, I'd advise you to not build on what could be a house of cards.

Any Vero member just needs to pick up the phone to eBay, and they can have auctions pulled, no questions asked. Three phone calls and your auctions would all be gone.

If you plan on long term, are you thinking maybe about licensing or original designs?

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
monkeylantern said:
How do you afford three employees on 144 sales a month?
When muncheys first posted he included a screencap of his eBay account (presumably since deleted for either download speed or self promotion or privacy reasons). According to that capture he'd made around about approximately USD $808.42 in the last 24 hours (okay that might be precisely...).

So I'm guessing the 144/month sales figure is out of date.

monkeylantern said:
Also, I'd be very careful about setting up a store based on possible trademark infringments
Yeah, while I was being flippant earlier... if I was in that situation (which I never will be) I would, in all seriousness, be putting away money into a lawsuit fund.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts