T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone sell t-shirts through a store on ebay. Im thinking of setting one up. My only concern though, is how will customers find my shirts since they dont come up on the search results on ebay. The discounted rates for listings are really enticing though. Has anyone sold through an ebay store? IF so has it been successfull for you or a failure? Any tips for a successfull ebay store?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
Well... we could talk about all the various pro's and con's (there are more of the latter than the former, but don't let that worry you), and people who aren't me may choose to. But on the other hand, I'd just point out that an eBay store costs very little money to run, and if you have an established product you are ready to sell and think eBay might be for you... I'd say just do it. Run it for three months, at a cost of less than a hundred bucks, and see what happens.

I have an eBay store (not at all t-shirt related) that was well worth it when I started it. Lately I've been focusing on other things though and can't be bothered listing new items, managing auctions, etc. But the store is still running, and every now and again a sale trickles through without me doing anything. Even in that state it's still worth leaving up - it takes very very little work to run it, and I make enough profit to cover the fees and the small amount of labour, and I get to move product.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
eBay stores are a gold mine, but there are many tricks in using them. When we relauch soon (delay after delay.....I've just been buried in freelance work, which will make our launch that much larger when it finally comes) it involves using an eBay store (or rather, abusing them).

Stealing eBay Traffic Legally

Here's my top tips:

1) The plan is to take advantage of eBay's huge search engine power and visitor numbers. Stores are spidered, auctions are not.

2) You need properly schedualed auctions to flow traffic from eBay searches to your store.

3) Your store must be pro-level. You need to do everything within your power to make it look like a proper website. A standard store with an eBay template will not help you.

4) You need an actual website selling your goods. To get around eBays off-site linking page, plaster your auctions and store to links to you About Me page. Size charts, FAQ, returns policy....all link to your About Me page.

5) Your About Me page has an enormous graphic link to all the sections on your actual website. You get people there, make the sales there, make 8% more per sale.

6) Your website must be .com and the name the same as your eBay handle. people will find you that way. Plaster your images with your website as a watermark. That's a more grey area (but thousands do so on eBay with no repercussions).

You cannot link from Auctions or a Store to a site that sells goods that are avaliable on eBay. You can have one such link on your About Me page. The aim of the game is to filter as much eBay traffic as possible to your real website. Used correctly, a Store will add dozens of extra sales a day.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Wow, thanks for all the info Monkey. Very informative. I too am looking at testing the interest before I launch totally and it seems ebay (moreso than cafepress) is a worthwhile option.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
This is a little old. :eek: but Rodney just linked to it recently... :p

Anyone have any good, detailed tips on how to use an ebay store? I used to have one for another business of mine, but I switched from it to direct advertising and sponsoring for my target market and generated OODLES more sales that way.

But I don't expect to get any sales out of you people. :p

Nick, what did you mean by Pro-Level Store? Was this an option in 2005? Have they changed things since then?

If I can get away with a $15/mo store I'd like to, but we'll test the ebay waters first before opening a $50/mo store.

We have a few ideas for shirts that are sure to be stolen within a week (or less) of us listing, so we need the most bang for the buck right away.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
If you look at my other posts on eBay, it's not the golden egg it once was.

My opinion has soured somewhat since this thread was made.....

·
Registered
366 Posts
I too have had an ebay store with very little success. Of course, I don't have time to get on there and promote it like I should. I also still connect on dial-up at 26.4kbps!!!!!! It takes a long time to just get a listing listed and I always wind up staying up late at night to do all my listing as I can't seem to find time during the daytime.
I have heard that if you do the auction listing it will help drive traffic to your store, just remember that there is different fees for an auction.
I do get just enough sales to keep all the fees paid and have occasional repeat customers.
All in all I think it would be alot better if I had time to devote to it like I should.

I only list stock transfers bought from Proworld on there. I wouldn't put any of my own designs on there as they will get stolen.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
In another business, I ran auctions all the time which included a link to the website "for more information". Another option as of recently I think, is a classified ad. The classified ads show up in searches. Your ad can include a link to your website. Personally, I think the fees are too high to use eBay as a "store", but there is so much traffic there, it is a good avenue to drive traffic to your website.

·
Registered
566 Posts
But... can't they be stolen just as easily from cafepress, or spreadshirt, or your own online shop, or anywhere on the web (or even off, for that matter)?
Yes, they can be stolen just as easily from any site, but for some reason people seem to be much more likely to steal designs from eBay. I think it's mainly because it's so easy to see what is actually selling. And maybe it doesn't seem like quite as much of an offense. It's just eBay. And there are thousands of designs to choose from, all in one place. None of that tedious Google searching to deal with.

I'm not saying that you should necessarily stay away from eBay, but you should plan on dealing with this issue.

Also, I wanted to add that I have had very good luck lately with having my auctions indexed by Google. I submit them and they are listed within a few hours, and ranked surprisingly well. I was more than a little surprised.

·
Registered
417 Posts
If I can get away with a $15/mo store I'd like to, but we'll test the ebay waters first before opening a $50/mo store.

We have a few ideas for shirts that are sure to be stolen within a week (or less) of us listing, so we need the most bang for the buck right away.

Thanks!
Hi Chani,

I have been testing the waters since about may of 2007. I haven't advertised the ebay store much but every now and then i get sales from items in my ebay store. Periodically throughout the month i may run 1 or 2 fixed auctions to show a new design.

I find that i sell enough to pay the fees so i keep the store around.

Just the other day i got a sell for an item that has been sitting in my store since may i don't run auctions for the item but apparently somehow the person found it.

I'm going to try some of the suggestions in this post even though they are old.

Also less than a month after i started selling on ebay someone stole 2 of my designs and put on earrings they were selling. I went after them and i joined the vero program. They told someone else they got the images from doing a google search of images. So they may not get the items directly from ebay all the time but ebay is the prime place stolen designs end up. :mad:

Signed,
Printchic

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
I read your thread about that. I can't believe people could be so stupid. No, wait. Yes, I can. :(

I looked into the VeRO program, but couldn't find a place to actually join it. Is there something special you do before you submit designs, or do you just fill out paperwork if you find one of your designs has been stolen?

Thanks! :)

·
Registered
417 Posts
I read your thread about that. I can't believe people could be so stupid. No, wait. Yes, I can. :(

I looked into the VeRO program, but couldn't find a place to actually join it. Is there something special you do before you submit designs, or do you just fill out paperwork if you find one of your designs has been stolen?

Thanks! :)
To be honest i didn't have to submit anything other than links to my website, my auction, etc. They kept telling me that their program was for to protect someone's intellitual property. I kept explaining I draw all my own graphics, i create the design the graphics are used in how is it "NOT" my intellectual property. I explained my designs are not "graphics i took from somewhere i created "everything from scratch" that the drawings on the t-shirts "ARE WHAT I SELL" it's my product.

I then ask them to "tell me" what they needed to prove intellectual property since they didn't seem to get it. They never did. After i fussed in my last letter and mentioned that i obviously was not valued as a customer as larger companies like "dis_ey", etc. and stated other t-shirt designers were also watching the outcome i got a letter back stating "Welcome to the vero program".

So i can't really say what did it. I would suggest copyrighting the designs. (Sending them all on a cd) to the Copyright office in DC. Making a copy of the application and postmarked return receipt certificated mail form so they can see you applied for a copyright may help.

Signed,
Angela H.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I want to add a search bar in my listing... i have never seen anyone do it... is it possible...?
if so, how do u do it?

any help recommendation will be helpful

Thankx in advance

·
Registered
815 Posts
Are the ebay stores still worth the time?
All of ebay has turned into a big retail center,
I liked it alot better when most of the auctions were by individuals and not merchants.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
I dont run a ebay store as of yet......but I do list almost all my designs as listings.....and I make a profit...not only a profit , but enough to pay the fees and make a nice chunk after all the fees....so for me ebay is well worth the time...once I have my store up.....things can only get better....

Inked

1 - 20 of 21 Posts