T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone hear of it, or how well it performs? i'm wanting to grab a heat press for back-up or back-up-back-up, keep a few transfers around for quick turn around and print on demand type...demands. machines can get pricey. then i saw this one on ebay that's handmade. all the right parts are there. the price is nice. feedback seems mostly possitive. hard to tell about the 3 negs.

http://cgi.ebay.com/E-Z-PRESS-10x14...3QQihZ020QQcategoryZ57065QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

any thought?

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
Nothing like a heat press made out of wood to make me feel safe.

It's come up on the forums a few times, to the conclusion that it's just not worth it.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
If you think about it though, what do we do every time we press a shirt? Pre-press to get the MOISTURE of it it. Moisture can warp wood. A warped platen presses very poorly.

I don't know how long they last, but it just seems inevitable. More for hobby-use than professional printing.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks all. truth is i don't need it. if i run into a snag, i'd rather spend the money on a local rush and toss in a handful of carefully crafted compliments, and maybe a nice wine bribe.

...although the cedar idea does sound delightful.

·
Registered
8,082 Posts
There is a thread on here from a person who got suckered into this machine... all it is ...a couple pieces of wood..some hinges and a clamp...then you buy the waffle iron from walmart..take apart ...use the heating element...you will surely rue the day you try to use this in a commercial operation..this will cost over 125 plus shipping and you can buy a small hobby lite press for around $300 that WILL work for you..

·
Registered
6 Posts
i copied his!!! i looked at the pic and made it , it only cost me about 35 bucks and it works fine. Keep in mind i dont have a profession business or have ever used pro equiptment though so i have no reference to quality or w/e but it works fine.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I made on also, I used 1" formica skinned countertop for my platen and it worked "ok", It got me in the business but only lasted about 200 shirts before the wood wore out of tollerances and got sloppy.

Mine diddnt use a clamp, I cut a oblong roll under the handle whereby the further I pushed on the handle the heavier the pressure. I mainly used it for sublimation.

If your just starting out it's a quick cheap fix to see if your interest is peaked.

I wouldnt buy one though, build it yourself.

or I'll send you mine for a mere $399.99 - hey, it's retro and part of history now - that's gotta be worth something :)

Bill

Bill

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey did you have pics of it. I am so debating and looking for something to start up but cash is tight. I think I could make it myself as well.
I looked at his plans and see that it is heating element..

I made on also, I used 1" formica skinned countertop for my platen and it worked "ok", It got me in the business but only lasted about 200 shirts before the wood wore out of tollerances and got sloppy.

Mine diddnt use a clamp, I cut a oblong roll under the handle whereby the further I pushed on the handle the heavier the pressure. I mainly used it for sublimation.

If your just starting out it's a quick cheap fix to see if your interest is peaked.

I wouldnt buy one though, build it yourself.

or I'll send you mine for a mere $399.99 - hey, it's retro and part of history now - that's gotta be worth something :)

Bill

Bill

·
Registered
212 Posts
Yes JUNK as it relates to commercial presses but better than a hand iron and pumping barbells and gaining a ton of weight to apply the proper pressure. however for those that like to tinker it's a start.
I don't have a pic, sorry. however studying the "junk" sold on eBay you can figure it out.
it uses a presto griddle as a element.

there ya go :)

·
Registered
116 Posts
Overall, not a -bad- idea, but not a great one either. I'd reinforce the wear points.

And since one can pretty much figure out the design, craft one yourself, and put it in a box, disassembled, for the day when you -really- need to get something done, and the real press bites it... Probably while you're at a festival 200 miles from home.

FWIW, I picked up a Knight press, not a big major one, but a solid working press, for about $150 or so shipped. Keep an eye on ebay.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts