T-Shirt Forums banner

E-commerce help

4K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  chosenfew 
#1 ·
Still a newbie and going bonkers reading about all the different web hosts, shopping cards, merchant gateways, SSL's etc etc.

I've posted questions and read some threads - seems the more I read, the more questions I have ! Hmmm...I think someone said that'd happen here ! LOL

Ok .... so here's what I'm throwing out there - cuz you guys and gals don't have any ulterior motives ! I know lunarpages has been suggested ... and Rodney likes Pair (note: Pairlite seems a bit too lite for my needs)

Speaking of needs ... anyone have similar features w/ a package they like ?

* Number of products (currently) = 6 consisting of
mostly womens shirts, 1 mens and dog sweatshirt
Will grow but have to start off small
* Market is dog owners (mainly female)

I'd like:

* Simple design
* Not too expensive but not cheap
* SSL (Obviously but everything seems xtra!)
* Web monitoring - I'm doing all the grunt work (Shippping and handling) so don't have time to monitor my site to make sure it's up
* I want a No requirement to register check out (saw the thread about getting the customer to the check out asap)
* Capability of having customers download photos of their pets
* Good, trustworthy gateway that's not going to gobble up my profit - again, more xtra fees !

I am clueless when it comes to all the programing - do I want a site that allows me to host multiple domaine names ? I've been told the more I have, the better as it provides more "doors" for customers to enter my site.

Then ... are there costs to get your site to come up in a google search ?!?! I notice some hosts give "credits" ? Do those go in a blink of an eye ?!

Well - I think I've exhausted my thread for now - sorry this is so lengthy but I'm finding myself just going in circles !

Oh yeah - the designer who did my logo said she'd charge me $399 for 10 pages ... now, she has to check w/ her programer (so I'm assuming the $399 is for her artistic abilities and the programmer's gonna put it all together ?) Not sure what he'll charge.

Another guy will charge $50 / hour to make a site for me. He already has a t-shirt biz w/ Netfirm and a shopping cart w/ shopify - good / bad / ugly !?

If I had a choice, I'd use printmojo since part of their company's local (Sacramento) but can't afford a fulfillment co. at this time - sorry Rodney !

If you've read this far - THANK YOU VERY MUCH !
Phew ~
Colleen :)

P.S. My (one) domaine name's registered w/ hostmysite.com ... not sure about using them either!

See less See more
*sigh* yeah .. sounds more like I'm venting ! LOL

I already have a t-shirt manufacturer that I like (Bella).
I've spoken to a local printer that's working with me - i.e. flexible w/ prices and quantities.

Now - I'm at the point where I need to get a web site set up. I have the domaine name secured ... and I'm just confused as to who to choose to host it ... who to use for the shopping cart ... who should I go w/ for payment gateway .... I'm trying to fit my "needs" (kinda outlined above) into a program. Since I don't understand all the programing features some of the host sites offer, I'm oblivious to what's good.

Sooo .... back to "what's my question" !
Based on the features I want and low amount of merchandise I can currently offer - should I just jump in and go w/ lunarpages ? or spend more and go w/ pair ? I know it's not the end of the world if I make a mistake, but before I do, I'm trying to be educated about it ! ha ha!

Thanks Rodney !

Discussion starter · #5 ·
Thanks sooo much Rodney - I think I'll print your reply and paste it on my fridge ! And my forehead! LOL

One of these days, I'll post my site on the forum for feedback !

Cheers ~
Colleen :)

Discussion starter · #7 ·
Thank you very much Bob ! No scares, great info. I actually read a thread about the Life Is Good company - how they are now "audited" because they weren't keeping customers data secure. Anyway - one person replied that they used a third party (PayJunction to be exact) to protect customer data.

I recently had my own bank reissue my debit/credit card because somewhere, something was breached. As such, I certainly wouldn't want to be the one mailing notifications to MY customers ! Thanks again and I'll be sure to check out the site you mention. :)

Colleen

Discussion starter · #9 ·
Thanks Will - that's good to know. Curious - do you have any merchant favorites?
The guy that's going to help me w/ my site said he uses Shopify because he's only charged when he sells something (wait - maybe Shopify is just the cart ? and not the merchant?)

I'm considering PayPal but if someone's NOT signed up - I knows it's an extra step for them ... extra step = possibly abandonment ? .. PayJunction's fees are higher too (monthly fees etc) but they include capabilities to take CC's if I decide to do a craft show. Running the card from my lap top (via internet) and thru a CP. Attractive. :)

Thanks again!
Colleen

Discussion starter · #14 ·
Thanks much craftmouse - I've been considering blue host too, so nice to have the feedback. And I did check out your site ... very nice! I've been purusing the threads where people throw out their address for feedback - one gets a lot of info that way ... good and bad (but in a nice way).

Also thanks to Ted - yet another feature (not having to "register" to make a purchase) that I'm interested in.

I really appreciate all the feedback !

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.