T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, just so your wondering, this is a self project and not some company thing. im also new

I just got some haynes v-necks for free, and i had an idea to do something with them. i wanted to dye the borders of the shirt different colours, as shown in this diagram

so im just asking is this possible (doing as a home project), and how will i do it? It's ok if the lines have rough edges, kinda like just being dipped in dye. any help guys?

http://s745.photobucket.com/albums/xx96/bassbrotha/?action=view&current=untitled.jpg

·
Registered
8,082 Posts
since this is posted in the dye sublimation section, the quick answer is that dye sublimation will not work on cotton...has to be on polyester. Dye sublimation is not like the dye we commonly think of when referring to the coloring of material.. check out DyeSub.org - An educational site for dye sublimation and digital transfer printing. for more info.

As to other methods to do what you wish, I think might be a bit hard since traditional dye on material tends to migrate to adjacent areas...maybe someone more familiar with dying material can confirm or refute

·
Registered
558 Posts
I think you can do the edges and collar but it will bleed some. I'm not sure how you would die the center black if that is what you intend to do. Maybe fold in half and dip it leaving the edges white and then fill in with the colors. You'll need to use fiber reactive dyes like they use for tie dye. Tie-Dye Instructions & Supplies

I'd read up on tie dye techniques and what's possible.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts