T-Shirt Forums banner

dye vs. pigment which one has better results?

2466 Views 7 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  CUSTOM UK
Hi,

I've been trying to look for a definitive answer for which ink I should try. I've seen msg's where people say that pigments stay on for longer, then I've seen messages that say that dye ink will not fade in the wash depending on which transfer paper you use.

My Question is simple: If I'm using an Epson C88+ what type of ink am I better off using printing on 50/50 white t-shirts. I will be using Jetprosofstretch transfer paper and have an ACS365. Out of the two ink types, which one has in most occasions resulted in better outcomes?

I'm just getting started so I just want a general direction before I start testing out different types of transfer methods. Thanks in advance for the help!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Hi,

I've been trying to look for a definitive answer for which ink I should try. I've seen msg's where people say that pigments stay on for longer, then I've seen messages that say that dye ink will not fade in the wash depending on which transfer paper you use.

My Question is simple: If I'm using an Epson C88+ what type of ink am I better off using printing on 50/50 white t-shirts. I will be using Jetprosofstretch transfer paper and have an ACS365. Out of the two ink types, which one has in most occasions resulted in better outcomes?

I'm just getting started so I just want a general direction before I start testing out different types of transfer methods. Thanks in advance for the help!
I promise I'm not stalking you. :)

If you have a c88+ then you have the perfect ink already because it uses pigment ink.

I'm not familiar with the ACS365, but recently some people have experimented with dye ink and JPSS and I believe they have had good results. However, if you have a C88 I see no reason to not just use that because it's been proven.

*edit: I just realized the ACS365 is a press. *~*
I just read about this, dye ink is soluble to water which means any image done with dye ink will dissolve and fade in a few washes, for t-shirts it is recommendable to use pigment ink or sublimation, although sublimation tends to be a bit more pricey...I'm just learning about this stuff myself, good luck with your new venture :)
Alessio is correct....if you want an image that will not wash out in a few washes...do not use dye ink..use pigment ink. The new Epson 1400 comes with Claria ink which is water resistant and some of our members have have good luck using that ink and JPSS paper. Do a search to find the thread on this subject. But if you have the C88. the OEM ink is good for transfers
Below is a picture of a transfer that has been washed over twelve times using dye ink. The paper is Alpha gold (Jetwear) and it was printed up using third party Canon dye ink. Still looks as good as the day it was printed, with zero fading.

It is the polymer binder in the transfer paper itself that holds the ink in place. The decent transfer papers will work with dye or pigment based inks. If however you were to print direct onto fabric without a binder, the dye ink would wash clean out, whereas the pigment would offer greater resistance to washing out of the material.

I prefer dye to pigment as it is much less prone to clogging. Sublimation does not work well with inkjet transfers, as it uses a totally different colour gamut that is designed to react with polyester fibres.

Hope this helps. :)

Attachments

See less See more
Will
What paper are you using with the dye ink ?
And have you tried any other papers ?

Thanks
Mark
Hi Will,
As far as Alpha Gold for darks is concerned, what print settings are you using when going to print and also what settings you use for pressing, time, temp etc?
Thanks much for any assistance.
Reactions: 1
Hi Will,
As far as Alpha Gold for darks is concerned, what print settings are you using when going to print and also what settings you use for pressing, time, temp etc?
Thanks much for any assistance.
For tees, the regular text and graphics setting works just fine. Press time is at 375F for 15 seconds.

I have found that dye ink works fine with every other type of paper I have ever tried. The major downside to any type of inkjet tranfer is cracking of the polymer within the paper carrier itself, rather than anything to do with ink.

The cost difference between dye and pigment inks is only small, but if you use third party cartridges you need to ensure whether they have been filled with dye or pigment ink. Using original cartridges is ok if you want to give all your profits away to a greedy printer manufacturer, but I've always used third party inks with zero problems.

Hope this helps. :)
Reactions: 1
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.