T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently received a few ads for paper that makes it possible for you to sublimate 100% cotton. Has anyone else seen this or had any experience with it? It's very pricey and I am thinking of calling and asking for some samples but would love some feedback if anyone has any!!!

Thanks!

· Registered
8,807 Posts
Save your $$$.....it does not exist....true sublimation that is. Remember that sublimation ink ONLY dyes polyester fibers or substrate....will not bond to cotton. Chromablast from sawgrass was designed to work on cotton...but not only is the ink pricey but so is the paper

· Registered
6,579 Posts
I have recently received a few ads for paper that makes it possible for you to sublimate 100% cotton. Has anyone else seen this or had any experience with it? It's very pricey and I am thinking of calling and asking for some samples but would love some feedback if anyone has any!!!

Thanks!
You would be sublimating onto a polymer transfer that is heat applied to the shirt, so you are not really sublimating cotton (which is impossible).

You are better off doing pigment inks and use a good paper like JPSS or Transjet, same or better results at less cost.

· Registered
46 Posts
Dye: to impregnate colour into a material.
Sublimation: a change directly from the solid to the gaseous state without becoming liquid.
Polymer (or polyester): consisting of large molecules made up of a linked series of repeated simple molecules.

Dye sublimation: Solid dye particles are changed into gas using heat and pressure, then bond with any polymers present, and change back into a solid. Cotton has no polymers and therefore has nothing for the dye particles to bond to.

Let's not get dye sub mixed up with cotton transfers as it's not the same and may confuse people :)

· Registered
6,579 Posts
Dye: to impregnate colour into a material.
Sublimation: a change directly from the solid to the gaseous state without becoming liquid.
Polymer (or polyester): consisting of large molecules made up of a linked series of repeated simple molecules.

Dye sublimation: Solid dye particles are changed into gas using heat and pressure, then bond with any polymers present, and change back into a solid. Cotton has no polymers and therefore has nothing for the dye particles to bond to.

Let's not get dye sub mixed up with cotton transfers as it's not the same and may confuse people :)
I think you are not understanding what it is that they are trying to accomplish with this concept as described. You are impregnating colour into a material using sublimation. And the material is a polymer.

A polymer sheet (much like a regular cotton transfer paper sheet) is sublimated. The sublimated **sheet*** is then heat transfered onto cotton. No violation of physics involved.

The printed sheet is not releasing dye into the cotton fibers, it is a polymer substrate that has been sublimated, then that is placed onto the 100% cotton tshirt and heat pressed. It is not a "sublimation paper" in the strict sense.

· Registered
46 Posts
I think you are not understanding what it is that they are trying to accomplish with this concept as described. You are impregnating colour into a material using sublimation. And the material is a polymer.

A polymer sheet (much like a regular cotton transfer paper sheet) is sublimated. The sublimated **sheet*** is then heat transfered onto cotton. No violation of physics involved.

The printed sheet is not releasing dye into the cotton fibers, it is a polymer substrate that has been sublimated, then that is placed onto the 100% cotton tshirt and heat pressed. It is not a "sublimation paper" in the strict sense.
Oh no I certainly understand the process (I've been doing it for 6 years!), I was actually re-iterating the point you and a few others made if you read my post again!

By saying that you are impregnating a colour into a material is again misleading and almost hair splitting because you mean the transfer paper not the cotton material. I agree with your explanation 100%, I'm just trying to make it clear for someone who doesn't really understand the process that well.

The reason I wrote my first post is because the OP stated that he/she had "received a few ads for paper that makes it possible for you to sublimate 100% cotton."

· Registered
6,579 Posts
Oh no I certainly understand the process (I've been doing it for 6 years!), I was actually re-iterating the point you and a few others made if you read my post again!

By saying that you are impregnating a colour into a material is again misleading and almost hair splitting because you mean the transfer paper not the cotton material. I agree with your explanation 100%, I'm just trying to make it clear for someone who doesn't really understand the process that well.

The reason I wrote my first post is because the OP stated that he/she had "received a few ads for paper that makes it possible for you to sublimate 100% cotton."
Although the OP didn't post the link these questions come up from time to time. Most all the ads I see for these are not really misleading, the problem is people tend to just read the ad headline and skim over and not dive into details.

Being mislead and not paying attention to detail are 2 different things.

For example in this case if you read the ad correctly one can conclude that no intent to mislead occured.

Forever Digital Transfer Applications Technology

· Registered
133 Posts
I got a sample of this paper and tried it out. First of all you will need a cutter to cut around areas where shirt will show through. And you will need to weed those areas. What you are left with is a thick vinyl material that sublimation passes through. The hand is a little on the thick side, but you are able to get a full color image on dark cotton.

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you all for your help and responses. I didn't think it was possible but knew you all were the experts and you would provide me with answers. I think I will just stick to transfers on the cotton. Don't want anything bulky.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.