T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had experience with a product made by Dye Press?
DyePress Home Page

They claim to have a sprayable/Brushable 2 part poly coat that will allow sublimation printing on, glass. ceramic. wood. metal, cotton. etc.
This is the first I have heard of this particular company and want to know if anyone has had experience with them, good, bad, ???
I am printing 15oz mugs made in USA, and will continue with USA products but the pre-coated price is killing my profit margin.
Yeah, you get what you pay for.... USUALLY!
Any constructive input will be appreciated.
Ralph

· Registered
8,807 Posts
I started sublimation in 1997. I have tried almost all of the DIY coating... My advice save your $$$. I found that spraying or rolling or brushing left streaks or uneven coating unnoticed until pressing. It is not nearly as smooth as commercial products. So I price accordingly. After all a mug with shipping and ink is no more than $2.50 total cost. Plenty room for profit

· Registered
39 Posts
This is the first that I have heard of this company but I'm always leery about working with a company that does not list any contact information on their web site.

Back in the day when I was at Tropical Graphics, we had a coating line (Armor Coatings) to coat tiles, etc. To get a proper coating is a lot of work and you have to use nasty chemistry in order to have good and consistent results. If you want to give this stuff a try then I do not suggest trying coffee mugs because that need to be dishwasher safe and the consumer will be putting their lips on the mugs. Make sure the company can provide you with a MSDS sheet to make sure it is safe. If you do give it a try then start with some ceramic tiles.

I agree with Charles there is plenty of profit in the ready to transfer substrates and that instead of trying to recreate an available product - focus your attention on your customer's needs by giving them the highest perceived value of your products.

· Registered
27 Posts
I never used this, but I agree. I made quite a mess with other coatings and had to use my oven outdoors to bake the coating because of the fumes. Ended up with bubbles everytime.

HOWEVER, this has a way around the bubbles and isn't there always something to sublimate that you just can't find to buy anywhere. What about ceramic door knobs, and wood products? I've searched over and over.

Things to compliment the items that you already sublimate.

I'd sure like to hear about the results and the process if known.

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi all,
Thanks for your varied responses to my inquiry.
The product (DYE PRESS poly) that I asked about is Not my own product, it is one I came across while zooming the web.
I am trying to cut the overhead in my mug production, I do not know where I can purchase quality coated 15oz mugs that are made completely in the USA for less than 4.50 ea, (shipped) which after transfer sheets, sub-ink and defects really cuts into profit.

As is easy to figure, this type of product would put me into the black-IF it is a good quality product.
That is why I wanted to know if anyone had tried it before.
I am in the process of acquiring a flat-press.
When I do I will buy some of this and test it on tiles, I will re-post results with test info at that time.
Thank you all for your replies, and hard learned information/opinions,
Ralph.

· Registered
28 Posts
I have developed a way of sublimating a complete plate without any machinery, and as far as i can see this is a wide open area. Everyone always has a opinion about a product based on their use of it, and what i have found out is that most failures of a product are due to the user. I ordered some of the clear poly today, and will work with it until it works. This way i am not tied down to just the regular items, and can sublimate just about anything, at least that is the way i am thinking now, will let all know. I sublimate cup handles along with the cup, it is a seperate process then that of the cups

· Registered
28 Posts
It is DYEPRESS POLYGLOSS dyepress.com email rachel@dyepress.com. their phone is screwed up right now, You can tell a good person, she emailed me, told me i could save 15 dollars by ordering a differnt sized bottle, she credited my paypal account within a hour, that is a good sign for me. Never used the stuff, but willing to try, and will make it work. We own a shelter for cats up on the canadian border, i make all the items for the gift shop, lookin to make something original, instead of the reular, will do, will keep all informed SKIP see ya

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hey Bill,
Been busy designing my t-shirt entry, then traveled just south of you, and played around with tropical storm Debbie, (see link). Think I will now have some time to pursue the inquiry's that I have made on the subject of acquiring commercial grade poly-coat.
I will post back with any significant results, good or bad!
Thanks to all for your input and interest,
Ralph
P.S No, that is NOT me surfing, I was filming!

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2E4SDvdesRo&feature=channel&list=UL[/media]

· Registered
28 Posts
Contacted, DYEPRESS got a gallon of poly, full instructions, got a email address, as posted before, wanted to sublimate unusual shape items, antique, something others do not process, up here in LUBEC MAINE. Have not tried the application process yet, i am sure there might be a few problems at first, but am sure it will work. It would be ideal if i could afford A VACUM OVEN, but can not justify the price right now,THUS HAVE ANOTHER process for sublimation of unusual shaped objects, no machine involved, will post results of the complete process, once i test , and everything works, i hope

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.