T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to opportunity to add to my shop. We currently have a white toner printer, that will be going to our other location if we decide to add on. I am thinking DTG. What's the advantages/ disadvantages to DTG? Pros/cons of each machine? We only use the white toner printer for full color designs and picture of people. What other options are out there? I need to be able to print cotton, polyester, and cotton/poly blends? Any advise?

·
Registered
49 Posts
We do both toner and DTG (Epson F2000/2100 and OKI 9541). Honestly, I find that DTG has a much softer feel and whiter whites. With DTG cotton and cotton/poly blends print best but we have success with 100% poly but that has it fair share of issues. We use the laser transfers mostly as a substitute for vinyl where lots of weeding is involved. In our opinion DTG yield the best result but also take the longest.

Lastly, all white ink (not toner) printers are subject to print head issues if not used and maintained properly. That is the one nice thing about the toner printer.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We do both toner and DTG (Epson F2000/2100 and OKI 9541). Honestly, I find that DTG has a much softer feel and whiter whites. With DTG cotton and cotton/poly blends print best but we have success with 100% poly but that has it fair share of issues. We use the laser transfers mostly as a substitute for vinyl where lots of weeding is involved. In our opinion DTG yield the best result but also take the longest.

Lastly, all white ink (not toner) printers are subject to print head issues if not used and maintained properly. That is the one nice thing about the toner printer.
Thanks for the input!! Is the DTG really worth what the cost of the machines?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Depends on how you look at it.

If you compare DTG (Epson) and a 5 channel toner (OKI 9541) they are about the same cost new. The added cost of a pretreat machine is where it becomes more expensive.

IMO the largest benefit is the toner machine can sit without worrying about clogged nozzles. With DTG you really need to use the machine on a regular basis and do more than a couple of shirts when printing. The cleaning process on start up uses ink so you really need to print 20+ shirts to offset the cost of the wasted ink.

Both machines have unique workflow issues but will get the job done. In terms of looks/feel/wearability we prefer DTG, then HTV. We typically use toner for applications where we would use HTV but lots of weeding is involved.

If purchasing new is outside your budget there are plenty of good pre-owned machines for sale in the $5-10k area.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Depends on how you look at it.

If you compare DTG (Epson) and a 5 channel toner (OKI 9541) they are about the same cost new. The added cost of a pretreat machine is where it becomes more expensive.

IMO the largest benefit is the toner machine can sit without worrying about clogged nozzles. With DTG you really need to use the machine on a regular basis and do more than a couple of shirts when printing. The cleaning process on start up uses ink so you really need to print 20+ shirts to offset the cost of the wasted ink.

Both machines have unique workflow issues but will get the job done. In terms of looks/feel/wearability we prefer DTG, then HTV. We typically use toner for applications where we would use HTV but lots of weeding is involved.

If purchasing new is outside your budget there are plenty of good pre-owned machines for sale in the $5-10k area.
Great info! Thanks!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.