T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody,

I havent been in the tshirt industry for a while and now im finding my way back. I have a question Is Dye Sublimation the same as DTG Please correct me if im wrong so far from my understanding:

DTG: is an inkjet printer configured to print on textile using dyes when printing is done you then have to apply heat via heat press to seal in the the dyes into the fabric.

Dye Sublimation: you print image onto a special paper then you heat press it onto a tshirt once again using heat to seal in the dyes into the fabric...

Am I on the right path or am I confused..

Thank You in advance :)

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Joshua,
DTG printing is suitable for cotton t-shirts; it's a surface print and will wash off a little during regular wear and tear of the garment.

Dye-Sublimation doesn't work on natural fabrics; the print gets permanently dyed into the fabric so you can't feel it on the surface; the print will never deteriorate.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I'm sorry, but English isn't my native language, so I was wondering if by "Dye-Sublimation doesn't work on natural fabrics" you mean NOT ON COTTON...
What would you call "natural fabrics"...I have bothering you but I am trying to make sense of all these different methods :D

Joshua,
DTG printing is suitable for cotton t-shirts; it's a surface print and will wash off a little during regular wear and tear of the garment.

Dye-Sublimation doesn't work on natural fabrics; the print gets permanently dyed into the fabric so you can't feel it on the surface; the print will never deteriorate.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
I'm sorry, but English isn't my native language, so I was wondering if by "Dye-Sublimation doesn't work on natural fabrics" you mean NOT ON COTTON...
What would you call "natural fabrics"...I have bothering you but I am trying to make sense of all these different methods :D
Natural fabrics are made of fibes from animal or plant sources; for example: cotton, linen, bamboo, hemp, modal, wool, silk...

Synthetic fabrics use polymer-based materials; for example polyester, nylon, spandex, acetate.

·
Registered
261 Posts
There is also a huge difference between the two techniques: entry price.

If you want to own the equipment, you can get into sublimation for around 1K, with reputable vendors. DTG gets as high as ten times that.

If you are comfortable working with a third party, many members of the forum offer outsourcing services on both techniques.

Good luck!

·
Registered
837 Posts
If you did go down the DTG route you can print both cotton & polyester shirts by simply using a specific pre treatment. Best of both worlds :)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Thank you so much for the info!!! I greatly appreciate it!!! Blessings!!
;-)

Natural fabrics are made of fibes from animal or plant sources; for example: cotton, linen, bamboo, hemp, modal, wool, silk...

Synthetic fabrics use polymer-based materials; for example polyester, nylon, spandex, acetate.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.