T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I am looking to buy a DTG printer, either the Brother GTX or an EPSON F3070.

Anybody have experience with these machines? What are the ink costs like? Are they any known issues with the machines? What's the support like?

Other machines recommendations are welcomed.

Thanks in advanced.

Jonathan M.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
I am looking to buy a DTG printer, either the Brother GTX or an EPSON F3070.

What are the ink costs like? Are they any known issues with the machines? What's the support like?
The GTX pro bulk is cheaper, but the F3070 is a better printer (faster, larger print area).

What are the ink costs like?
The Epson ink is a bit more expensive, but the real life difference depends on how much ink you use per print.
if you only need 1ml, the difference will be negligible... around 5 cents more expensive per print.
If you need 15ml (a large print on a black shirt), the difference becomes substantial... around 75 cents more expensive per print.

If you print 10,000 shirts per year that $0.75 becomes $7,500 which makes the Epson even more expensive, BUT again the larger printing area may get you additional customers, you would otherwise lose to competitors.

Are they any known issues with the machines?
That's a matter of perception...
Don't expect maintenance free printing with any production printer.

What's the support like?
Local technician support depends on your location.

·
Registered
2 Posts
We have had hands on experience with both. The Brother requires less training. You can put on operator on it with less than 30 minutes of training an be printing shirts at a productive pace. The Epson is a good machine, with a lot of customization options that can be confusing for operators. The Brother had more up-time for us. It is important to make sure you have a local technician to support you. Also, make sure you are printing daily or you can have chronic issues with any machine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your input!
The Brother requires less training. You can put on operator on it with less than 30 minutes of training an be printing shirts at a productive pace.
This is something definitely to consider, in my region there are no local agents/technicians to train, set up, fix these machines. We would have to fly them in from the U.S which is quite expensive.

When we get new equipment, I have to learn the machine myself and train staff on my self taught knowledge.

Epson is a good machine, with a lot of customization options
Color accuracy is important to us when printing. Does the Brother allow you to tweak colors in the software?

In wide-format banner printing we use ICC profiles to tweak colors. Does the DTG industry use this?

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
in my region there are no local agents/technicians to train, set up, fix these machines. We would have to fly them in from the U.S which is quite expensive.
This is a common issue in remote locations.

Just have parts in stock and start swapping them when you have a problem.
This is what technicians do as well.

In wide-format banner printing we use ICC profiles to tweak colors. Does the DTG industry use this?
Color charts is the way...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts