T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi im building a epson 1400 dtg printer. I dont really know much aboutgarment printing but I see 2 methods.

One is UV ink and you have a light cure the ink. With that system you seem to need a mixer to keep the ink good.

The second is regular textile pigment ink. It prints then you cure the ink with a heat press. Does anyone use a ink damper directly from the bottles?

What method do you guys use? What ink setups do you have?

·
Registered
826 Posts
The "G" in DTG stands for "garment." UV is more for hard surfaces like cups, golf balls, ink pens, etc. You can probably use UV printing on garments, but I'm not sure what kind of results you'll get. There is a UV printer manufacturer close to me who even marketed a unit that you would change out the ink and use it as a DTG printer, but I don't see it on their site any more.

Check out this area of the forum.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Hi im building a epson 1400 dtg printer. I dont really know much aboutgarment printing but I see 2 methods.

One is UV ink and you have a light cure the ink. With that system you seem to need a mixer to keep the ink good.

The second is regular textile pigment ink. It prints then you cure the ink with a heat press.
Both inks work better with a circulation system for white ink.
UV ink requires UV blocking ink lines and dumpers, and a UV light to cure the ink. That's all there is to it.

Does anyone use a ink damper directly from the bottles?
I don't know what you mean by this.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What colors do people use? i was looking on aliexpress at dtg ink. BK C M Y White Pretreatment

is this what i should get? for the 6 colors? or do I get the same colors the printer uses?

Hey with the Rip software Can i fill all 6 colors up with one color. then have it print all white?

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
What colors do people use? i was looking on aliexpress at dtg ink. BK C M Y White Pretreatment

is this what i should get? for the 6 colors? or do I get the same colors the printer uses?

Hey with the Rip software Can i fill all 6 colors up with one color. then have it print all white?
Test the printer first with the standard inks to verify it is working OK.
DTG inks are only available in CMYK+White as far as I know. You tell the RIP which color is in which channel, and yes you can print all white if you want.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
So is this what i need to mix the ink and the dampers?
These tanks are bit too much for a DIY printer I think... Especially when you don't have a circulation system going all the way to the printhead like the big brands do. You can buy the cheaper ones and simply shake the bottles from time to time.

You will also have to install the UV light.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts