T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had any problem with DTG printing on thin shirts? I am printing on American Apparel t-shirts but the people who handle our printing say if they print on t-shirts that are thinner, the ink can go through to the back of the shirt. I suggested putting paper or something inside the shirt but they said it will cause the ink to rise so it does not have a soft hand anymore. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

· Registered
1,954 Posts
You didn't say what machine you are using. On some machines, you put only the layer you are printing on the platten. Dressing the platten like you would if you were screen printing.

· Registered
5,872 Posts
The greater concern with "thinner" fabric is that on many fabric weaves like that there is more air then material. Pretty evident if you hold the matrial up to a light. You then have, in effect, less fabric for the ink to sit on. Your print will not be as bright as the same print on a heavier fabric. This is the true for screen printing as well as for direct to garment printing.

Harry
Equipment Zone

· Registered
10,343 Posts
Has anyone had any problem with DTG printing on thin shirts? I am printing on American Apparel t-shirts but the people who handle our printing say if they print on t-shirts that are thinner, the ink can go through to the back of the shirt.
Hmm, we print in AA shirts without problem. Actually, the soft style shirts hold the ink better and last longer than the stiff cotton shirts.

We have a kiosk ii.

· Registered
10,343 Posts
Ring Spun shirts will generally be lighter weight but a tighter weave to hold the ink. I would agree with you there.
I would add that it is not marginally better but an order of magnitude better. I have a black soft shirt printed with white ink base and color and it has held up better than any other print we have done and it has been washed/dried dozens of times.

The Gildan soft style shirts are comparable to AA and are a lot less expensive.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.