T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else had any trouble with clogged print heads very frequently in the past couple of months for the DTG. We have replaced 4 print heads in the past month and a couple of days, 2 on each of our machines. They have been printing about 14 hours a day 6 days a week and on Sundays head cleanings and nozzle checks are always done.

·
Registered
4,664 Posts
I would get a digital temperature / humidity gauge and see what the printer manufacturer has for the recommended settings. Might also want to look at your dampers or cartridges as you could have an ink stravation issue. The final thing that comes to my mind is what ink you are using and if there might be something wrong with it. A call to you distributor might help you work through these questions.

Good luck.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They told us it could be a tempature issue at one time, we checked that and it is ok. We also replaced the dampers about a month ago and they are in perfect shape.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Its a kiosk. One machine is the Kiosk one with the valve system in the back and the other is a kiosk two with the lines coming straight from the bottles to the dampers. They were both bought as kiosk ones but we have only changed one of them.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I just had a similar issue. You need to be cleaning the heads and doing nozzle checks daily. I spend 30 minutes every night cleaning the head, capping station wiper blade, ribbon, rails and anything else that looks dirty. If i am not using it, i at least do a nozzle check in the moring and leave it on. i had a head clog in the middle of a 700 shirt run. by the time i was back up and running i had lost 1 1/2 weeks. never again. Now when i do a nozzle check in the am, it is perfect every time. I came up with a chart that my wife and i follow to help make sure everything gets done. HTH..

Matt

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey Matt I always do head cleanings and nozzle checks first thing in the morning and several times through out the day. They would be perfect for a couple of weeks and then all of a sudden one day I will come in and my nozzle checks look like crap, and the machine is never the same until a new print head is put in

·
Registered
12 Posts
Sounds like you are covering all the bases. I would look at my pump/capping station. It ma have reached its life or check your ink bottles (on the machine or your supply) for any dried ink that may be getting into the lines. But I would check my capping station first.

·
Registered
143 Posts
josh, how do you clean the head itself? i misread your post, i read it as you only did headcleanings and nozzle checks on sundays.. my bad. when you shut down for the night, do you leave it on? Do you leave a few drops of cleaning solution in the capping station? i do both. So far so good (knock on wood) it takes alot longer but it seems to be worth it. i also noticed that when i would run low on ink, i would not fill them up all at the same time. that also seemed to create some issues. if i fill them all up at the same time and keep them at 3/4. seems to work good. i am looking into creating/inventing a bulk system. Kinda like the t-jet systems. there is no reason that we could not have 1 qt bottles off to the side that it draws from. it would make it easier to fill and monitor also. One other question. Are you set up for white ink? If so, do you flush it out once a week. i wans't in the beginning, but i have noticed that towards the end of the week, i get clumps of white on the head. i am monitoring this.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey Matt, I always put solution in the capping station at night but never leave my machines on. I had on 2 occasions mornings where I came in after the machines were left on all night and ink every where on my floor. It had sucked 7 full bottles of ink completely bone dry, very costly and the only explanation I got was that is was gravity, I think someone just didnt want to full with me that day because as you could guess I wasnt in the best of moods.

I do print white ink on one of my 2 machines. I usually never flush lines becuase we print extremely good white ink...knock on wood, usually cant even hit the shirt with a second layer because the ink will run down the shirt when I go to dry it. Plus the problems I have been having with these print heads has been the color ink lines, which makes it even more puzzling since its not as thick of ink and I print much more color than I do white.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Josh, do you filter your ink through a coffee strainer before putting it in the bottles?

If the ink is free from debris/settlement you shouldn't really be losing print heads so soon. Also, what process have you been using to save your print heads? A flush and backflush? Flushign and black flushing usually clears clogs in the color lines easily.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Josh,

Black and Cyan have been the biggest problem colors.
I have checked the tech support records on your machines and see that at least one of the machines needs a head carriage replacement as one of the screw holes was stripped out when you were replacing a head at some time. Regardless of how you secure the print head once this has happened - you are likely to have issues with poor capping station seal which will lead to more frequesnt head clogs. I strongly suggest that you replace the head carriage as suggested by technical support recently. The black and cyan would be the two colors closest to the left side of the machine which would be the side most likely to not seal properly.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Josh,

I have checked the tech support records on your machines and see that at least one of the machines needs a head carriage replacement as one of the screw holes was stripped out when you were replacing a head at some time. Regardless of how you secure the print head once this has happened - you are likely to have issues with poor capping station seal which will lead to more frequesnt head clogs. I strongly suggest that you replace the head carriage as suggested by technical support recently. The black and cyan would be the two colors closest to the left side of the machine which would be the side most likely to not seal properly.

Hope this helps!

I have to go with Don on this. This is similiar to what I went through, It is of ultimate importance that the seal around the printface and the capping station is secure, From this post I can only determine that the silver bracket that holds down the printhead and keeps it pushed to the back of the carriage, one of the screws is stripped out.

If this is indeed the case then no matter what rigging you employ, the upward motion of the capping station would lift the print head causing air to seep in on the side where the screw is stripped. I've tried taping mine down and even though there appeared to be no movement that i could see, I kept clogging print heads. I went through 3 heads in 6 months. After I replaced the head carriage, I did not have the cloggings as before.

Mind you that replacing the carriage system is very tricky and requires a thorough walk through with your tech support, If at all possible and if your tech support offers it, see ifyou can get a tech that lives close to you to come out and repair. The down time is minimal compared to if you do not posses the knowledge of how to tear down and put together your printer.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts