T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there,

I have a Funsun 2021 dtg printer that used a epson dx9 printhead using funsun ink with image armor ultra pt.

Currently using 100% cotton garments and having major issues with fading.

heres my process:

Press set to 330f with moderate to light pressure using teflon sheet.

Firstly I press the garment for 10sec to get it nice and flat and remove moisture then proceed with a lint roller to remove any lint, then I pretreat the shirt with a pressurized sprayer horizontally and vertically, once im done I will press for 30sec release remove teflon replace the teflon then press in 20sec incriments normally x3.

Once its nicely pretreated and pressed I'll take the garment straight over to the printer and begin to print, laying down my white base the following with the color.

when printings done I press at the same temp for 90sec release the press remove the teflon, replace the teflon and press again for another 90sec.

Here are my results after one wash...? PLEASE HELP
Textile Sleeve Organism Pink Font

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't have any experience with this printer, but pressing for 180 seconds seems excessive. The manufacturer recommends pressing for 50 seconds.
Yeah so ive tried everything they recommended and the results were worse, 50sec press time and the inks not cured at all.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
here is a vid they produced (as mentioned by FJG, your times seem excessive)

hopefully the estate of lil peep has given you the green light to use their protected intellectual property

Have followed everything in the video perfectly and the results were worse.

The design is not for any other purpose than to test the print.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Hi.
Seems like you need to fine tune your printing process.
Is this happening with any other print? Any T-shirt brand?
What’s your pretreatment to water ratio? Perhaps you need more pretreatment solution in the mixture.
When you remove the Teflon for the second time, are there any vapors coming out from the print?
Perhaps you need more curing time.

How do you do the wash test? Immediately after printing? Try next day.
Do you turn the T-shirt inside out prior washing? You should.
Washing test with which settings?
Minimum 10 T-shirts per wash?
Tumble dry?

I hope these can help.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi.
Seems like you need to fine tune your printing process.
Is this happening with any other print? Any T-shirt brand? Have only tried the one garment brand they are 100% cotton.
What’s your pretreatment to water ratio? 100% pt no water
Perhaps you need more pretreatment solution in the mixture.
When you remove the Teflon for the second time, are there any vapors coming out from the print? No vapour
Perhaps you need more curing time.
Possibly
How do you do the wash test? Immediately after printing? Try next day.
I did do this immediately after printing.
Do you turn the T-shirt inside out prior washing? You should.
I didnt.
Washing test with which settings?
15min quick wash
Minimum 10 T-shirts per wash?
1 shirt
Tumble dry?
Air dry

I hope these can help.
Thank you for taking the time to respond.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
I don't have any experience with this printer, but pressing for 180 seconds seems excessive. The manufacturer recommends pressing for 50 seconds.
Yeah so ive tried everything they recommended and the results were worse, 50sec press time and the inks not cured at all.
Actually for most inks, curing time depends on the amount of ink used, and how powerful the heat press is.
More ink means more water, and the ink will only start curing when all the water is gone.
That's because water evaporation is an endothermic reaction (absorbs heat), preventing the ink from reaching its curing temperature.

Having said that, I think this is a case of bad ink.
The magenta ink in particular apears to be the issue, because the green (cyan + yellow) looks OK.
Purple Textile Organism Pink Magenta

It could also be that the magenta needs a bit more time to cure.
Try hovering the press over the print for 60 seconds before pressing, and see if that helps.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Actually for most inks, curing time depends on the amount of ink used, and how powerful the heat press is.
More ink means more water, and the ink will only start curing when all the water is gone.
That's because water evaporation is an endothermic reaction (absorbs heat), preventing the ink from reaching it's curing temperature.

Having said that, I think this is a case of bad ink.
The magenta ink in particular apears to be the issue, because the green (cyan + yellow) looks OK.
View attachment 276336
It could also be that the magenta needs a bit more time to cure.
Try hovering the press over the print for 60 seconds before pressing, and see if that helps.
Awesome, excellent.

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

Im going to try with a higher quality 100% cotton garment and also reduce the amount of ink being used as I actually think the amount im using may be excessive and give this a go.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok so heres my latest results, only change is garment this is 100% combed cotton, hover heat press before cure...

Before and after wash(washed 24hrs after cure, inside out on gentle...
Human Organism Textile Font Art

Im thibking this cheap chinese ink is garbage... Thoughts guys..?

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Ok so heres my latest results, only change is garment this is 100% combed cotton, hover heat press before cure...

Before and after wash(washed 24hrs after cure, inside out on gentle...
Maybe try one more time with even longer curing time.
60 seconds hover, followed by two 120 second pressings.

Im thibking this cheap chinese ink is garbage... Thoughts guys..?
The magenta is obviously problematic... but the other colors look OK.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Maybe try one more time with even longer curing time.
60 seconds hover, followed by two 120 second pressings.

The magenta is obviously problematic... but the other colors look OK.
Yeah sure ill give this a go, seriously considering dtf...

Will report back with results soon.
Cheers.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey there,

I have a Funsun 2021 dtg printer that used a epson dx9 printhead using funsun ink with image armor ultra pt.

Currently using 100% cotton garments and having major issues with fading.

heres my process:

Press set to 330f with moderate to light pressure using teflon sheet.

Firstly I press the garment for 10sec to get it nice and flat and remove moisture then proceed with a lint roller to remove any lint, then I pretreat the shirt with a pressurized sprayer horizontally and vertically, once im done I will press for 30sec release remove teflon replace the teflon then press in 20sec incriments normally x3.

Once its nicely pretreated and pressed I'll take the garment straight over to the printer and begin to print, laying down my white base the following with the color.

when printings done I press at the same temp for 90sec release the press remove the teflon, replace the teflon and press again for another 90sec.

Here are my results after one wash...? PLEASE HELP View attachment 276326
Hey Sylvia, I have 6 DTG machine and the M&R digital; squeegee so I can definitely relate to your concerns. It is trial and error for the most part. We do not use the heat press to cure the inks because we are mass producing and it is simply not cost effective. The problem is not the magenta ink in my opinion. It is the cure time. You need to add another 30 seconds and retest. If that does not do it add in 15 second increments until it works. Cure time in our dryer is 3 minutes at 300 degrees with a 3 lane Brown Firefly. You are doing everything else right. We use a Schulz pretreat as that is faster than using the pretreat on the fire fly dryer. Make sure you are getting at minimum 20 grams of pretreat on the shirt. When the prints are not vibrant and you can see white coming through the inside of the shirt then you need more pretreat as that simply keeps the print on the surface. Not sure what pretreat you are using. We use Firebird GTX optimized that should work for any pretreat inks and that is where I am getting the 20 gram minimum. Firebird has a matrix for recommended pretreat amounts based on the shirt brand and color for several brands. T-Shirt Matrix you can use that as a benchmark. What I see is goo pretreatment as the print color is consistent throughout before curing. Ink amount looks good as there is not any pooling evident in photos. So it has to be curing process. Hope this helps. Rick

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey Sylvia, I have 6 DTG machine and the M&R digital; squeegee so I can definitely relate to your concerns. It is trial and error for the most part. We do not use the heat press to cure the inks because we are mass producing and it is simply not cost effective. The problem is not the magenta ink in my opinion. It is the cure time. You need to add another 30 seconds and retest. If that does not do it add in 15 second increments until it works. Cure time in our dryer is 3 minutes at 300 degrees with a 3 lane Brown Firefly. You are doing everything else right. We use a Schulz pretreat as that is faster than using the pretreat on the fire fly dryer. Make sure you are getting at minimum 20 grams of pretreat on the shirt. When the prints are not vibrant and you can see white coming through the inside of the shirt then you need more pretreat as that simply keeps the print on the surface. Not sure what pretreat you are using. We use Firebird GTX optimized that should work for any pretreat inks and that is where I am getting the 20 gram minimum. Firebird has a matrix for recommended pretreat amounts based on the shirt brand and color for several brands. T-Shirt Matrix you can use that as a benchmark. What I see is goo pretreatment as the print color is consistent throughout before curing. Ink amount looks good as there is not any pooling evident in photos. So it has to be curing process. Hope this helps. Rick
Ok awesome, thank you for taking the time to respond I'll get to work and come back with a response...

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
The problem is not the magenta ink in my opinion. It is the cure time.
The other colors look OK, so there is definitelly something wrong with the Magenta.
Not enough binder in it is my guess, but maybe increasing the curing time will help.

Cure time in our dryer is 3 minutes at 300 degrees with a 3 lane Brown Firefly.
We do not use the heat press to cure the inks because we are mass producing and it is simply not cost effective.
You cannot compare the curing time of a conveyor dryer to a heat press.
A heat press will cure the ink in half the time because the transfer of heat is much faster.
Having said that, not all inks are the same. I personally recommend ImageArmor, but I've heard Firebird is also good.

Make sure you are getting at minimum 20 grams of pretreat on the shirt.
How is pretreatment going to affect just the magenta ink after the wash?

When the prints are not vibrant and you can see white coming through the inside of the shirt then you need more pretreat as that simply keeps the print on the surface.
That's really bad advice. When you see the ink coming through the fabric, that's actually the sweet-spot for durability.
If you want a more vibrant print, you can simply apply more ink.
The ink has to cure of course.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Points to remember.
180 degree celciou temperature for 50seconds to fix the colour.
For washing.
Don't use washing machine
Just soak your Tshirt in soap water for 30 min in a tub with cold water then rinse it and let it dry on hanger.
Washing machine is main cause of fading colours

·
Registered
144 Posts
Hi,

I am sorry to disagree with you, Nayyar.
Splathead is right.
We should/must simulate the washing procedures a customer does at his home.
Not everyone likes to handwash clothes these days I am afraid...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts