T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I am totally new to this and have been reading about this since 2-3 days only. I have been planning to invest in a machine that would be able to print tshirts for commercial use. As such, I would be printing a minimum number of tshirts (100 nos. each design) to start off with.
I am confused wether to go in for a screen printing or DTG printing machine for such a setup. More importantly I am not too sure about the quality of the printing in both the formats. I am not looking for a glossy embossed finished product, but rather a print which looks like a part of the cloth itself.
I would be glad if someone could explain me the differences between the both in brief with its pros and cons.

· Registered
1,264 Posts
If you are looking to print photos, with an end product that feels like the ink is part of the cloth, you really only have two choices:

1. Water based/four color process screenprinting, which to get photo quality prints takes expensive equipment (Metal halide exposure unit $4k-$10K, heavy duty auto press, roller frames for tight mesh, etc....), lots of experience and trial and error to get the finished product you want, the ability to stock several dozen of each design (because once you set up the run, you will want to run large quantities), and probably other things I am just not thinking of right now.

2. Printing with a DTG on white/very light shirts only. If you print on darker shirts, the ink will sit on top of the garment causing a heavier hand than you are looking for.

If you can deal with white/light shirts then DTG is the way to go for sure. If I knew more info (such as design size, price point you need, etc....) I could give you more advice.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.