T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been into DTG for about 2 years and the brand I was using was an off brand company (Lesson Learned). I was using Summit 520 for a few years and it was issues after issue. However all those issues turned me into a tech of sorts as I was forced to work on that thing almost every week and did not want to pay the outrageous tech fees. That is not here or there at this point as now we are looking into either a DTG M2 or Brother GTX.

I plan to buy this Monday as the other company left us with 300 shirts in order que and three weeks late due to all the break downs. I missed the whole holiday selling season.

I called DTG today and of course I got the whole " We are the best speech." Which I was expecting. Then I go into the tech side of things which they really knew their stuff with all my nit picky questions.

However I have been seeing some major hype over the Brother but what I am not liking is the ink costs. I am not a fan of dupont inks at all as with Image armor you can do ton more than just cotton. I was printing on dry-fit pretty well with that ink but at this time I just want something that works well and long lasting with the proper maintenance.

I really want to know what you guys think on this matter. I need to stay in the $22k range. So any suggestions with a printer that cost more than that I cannot afford as this last company super screwed everything we were working for pretty bad.

Thanks for your fast reply.

·
Registered
602 Posts
In the first two months of the new year manufacturing companies there new printers.

If you are in the market for a 22k printer ... wait.

·
Registered
856 Posts
If there's any chance you can wait about a month, you should attend ISS Long Beach. That stands for "Imprinted Sportswear Shows." Go there and see what the manufacturers are offering. They are also demonstrating, so you'll be able to see the printers in action.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I would recommend the Brother GTX over the DTG M2 any and every day of the week. I also agree with DrivingZiggy about attending ISS in Long Beach to get up close and personal with the equipment and the company to see what fits. In my opinion if I was looking to drop $20k plus on a piece of equipment I would want to see it in person and compare for myself rather than trust company salesman.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hey cainofgroth, not sure if I am in time to be useful here but..

First, thanks for saying we knew the tech stuff :)

We will not be at Long Beach. Just don't do trade shows anymore.

I have seen the GTX and it IS a really nice machine.

I'm sure you heard what we consider our advantages:

• Print up to 4 shirts at once
  • 16.5x24 print area
  • MUCH lower - MUCH lower cost per print

Also, the M2 has been out for several years, so is a very stable machine and we've got some real "dtg guys" doing support if you should need it.

You also may consider that we sell more than just DTG, so if your business ever includes embroidery, bling, transfers or cutters you can talk to the same people about supplies, training and support.

I have been into DTG for about 2 years and the brand I was using was an off brand company (Lesson Learned). I was using Summit 520 for a few years and it was issues after issue. However all those issues turned me into a tech of sorts as I was forced to work on that thing almost every week and did not want to pay the outrageous tech fees. That is not here or there at this point as now we are looking into either a DTG M2 or Brother GTX.

I plan to buy this Monday as the other company left us with 300 shirts in order que and three weeks late due to all the break downs. I missed the whole holiday selling season.

I called DTG today and of course I got the whole " We are the best speech." Which I was expecting. Then I go into the tech side of things which they really knew their stuff with all my nit picky questions.

However I have been seeing some major hype over the Brother but what I am not liking is the ink costs. I am not a fan of dupont inks at all as with Image armor you can do ton more than just cotton. I was printing on dry-fit pretty well with that ink but at this time I just want something that works well and long lasting with the proper maintenance.

I really want to know what you guys think on this matter. I need to stay in the $22k range. So any suggestions with a printer that cost more than that I cannot afford as this last company super screwed everything we were working for pretty bad.

Thanks for your fast reply.

·
Registered
19 Posts
brother gtx...no contest!
I have (had) 2 M2's and the sheer amount of issues i had was off the scale! my head went after 4 months and because it was a consumable part i had to pay £1000+ for a replacement. Engineer said he'd never seen a head that bad in over 10 years! go figure.
Since then ive had serious vertical 2 pass print issues (like 1 and half inches out between white and colour), motherboard shorts, bad prints (but i blame kothari for that) and so on...
DTG should not push this as a 1 pass printer, it simply is not. The DX5 heads cannot do it! 2 pass is fine but if you want production output (mass prints), this aint it.
Im lucky that someone wanted my 2 M2's, sold for £10k for the 2 of them. I'll never buy DTG brand again, ever.

Brother...take my money!

·
Registered
19 Posts
very rare i would back-track...but since i made that post, ive changed my mind!
i changed it after some serious research and found that white ink consumption during down time is rather heavy! quite a few people here have reported this issue.
i had my finger on the button to purchase but not now sadly.
granted, the gtx prints are fantastic, some colours are almost fluorescent, the gtx gamut it very wide indeed, but this printer needs plenty of work-flow, its not for 50, 60 or 70 tees a day, more like a few hundred. there were some other factors as well which swayed me away.

maybe when i enter into 100's a day i'll come back. but for now i'll stick with my M2's.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts