T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys we have had a DTG M2 printer for about six months now. just installed a new print head, dampers, and capping station. the printer is printing perfect except it is printing vertical lines over the design on the shirt. it prints these line in the exact same spot on every print. the lines are usually faded or a completely different color from original design.
I have double checked the ribbon cables going into the print head, they look good. and the encoder strip is good and clean.

Has anyone seen anything like this before?

Attachments

· Registered
2,736 Posts
Actually, Mark is half right. It is indeed a DX5 head, but it is a desktop model DX5 head - meaning it is meant for 13" wide printers. The most commonly available of these would be Epson 1900 heads. You need either an Epson 4880 head or an OEM head from the manufacturer (though we generally sell the 4880 heads as they are a couple hundred dollars cheaper).

I hope this helps.

· Registered
417 Posts
Actually, Mark is half right. It is indeed a DX5 head, but it is a desktop model DX5 head - meaning it is meant for 13" wide printers. The most commonly available of these would be Epson 1900 heads. You need either an Epson 4880 head or an OEM head from the manufacturer (though we generally sell the 4880 heads as they are a couple hundred dollars cheaper).

I hope this helps.
How do you distinguish a R1900 head to a 4880 head Don is there a physical difference a serial number ,code or something ?

· Registered
1,558 Posts
I have both here, from the one I have (I don't know if it apply to all) the only difference is a visual mark between the 2 ribbons head connector are different.

exactly like these photo (R1900 on the left)

[media]http://i01.i.aliimg.com/img/pb/306/930/901/901930306_374.jpg[/media]

From what I gather on the web, locked means you will need a decoder to mount on an A2 printer.

My decoder arrived in few day, and I will mount it on my epson based 48xx as well based on friend advices.

And if I have to do this, it is because here in France, with my supplier, if you want a new head you have to send back your old one.
How can I idle my DG machine for a week ??? when I print 6 days a week.
Had to found solutions.

· Registered
417 Posts
I have both here, from the one I have (I don't know if it apply to all) the only difference is a visual mark between the 2 ribbons head connector are different.

exactly like these photo (R1900 on the left)

[media]http://i01.i.aliimg.com/img/pb/306/930/901/901930306_374.jpg[/media]

From what I gather on the web, locked means you will need a decoder to mount on an A2 printer.

My decoder arrived in few day, and I will mount it on my epson based 48xx as well based on friend advices.

And if I have to do this, it is because here in France, with my supplier, if you want a new head you have to send back your old one.
How can I idle my DG machine for a week ??? when I print 6 days a week.
Had to found solutions.
Hi I'm not sure about the locked bit myself I have about half a dozen R1900 heads so I'm concerned too , the marks in the pics are actually the splines/breaks in the pcb boards where the board is broken off from the other boards at manufacture , the ones I have all have the same break position so maybe the latest batch just have the lines in a differrent position or they could have been done this way to identify them as you say ;)

· Registered
2,736 Posts
How do you distinguish a R1900 head to a 4880 head Don is there a physical difference a serial number ,code or something ?
There is a difference in the Epson part number for one thing: 1900 Head - F186000, 4880 Head - F187000

There is also a difference in the number of digits/letter in the ranking code - I believe it is 29 vs. 40 digits/letter for 1900/4880

Hope this helps!

· Registered
417 Posts
There is a difference in the Epson part number for one thing: 1900 Head - F186000, 4880 Head - F187000

There is also a difference in the number of digits/letter in the ranking code - I believe it is 29 vs. 40 digits/letter for 1900/4880

Hope this helps!
Hi Don
I maybe wrong so please correct me but I was lead to believe that the difference between the 186000 /187000 was that one is newer and now has the modified teflon coated head and the other hasn't (grey head) the ranking code obviously differentiates them however If what has been discussed that the Mutoh M2 wont perform properly with a head which isn't a wide enough print field surely the 4880 head won't be compatible as the m2 is twice the printing width of the Viper? ..very confusing, if only we could get the info directly from the dragons mouth lol ;)

· Registered
2,736 Posts
The 1900 heads are designed for the smaller format printers. They will work on 17" wide machines (4880 based machines) but will create the "error" shown above when installed in printers wider than 17". The 4880 heads will work fine on 24" wide format printers, these are the heads that we use for replacement in the M Series machines.

· Registered
417 Posts
The 1900 heads are designed for the smaller format printers. They will work on 17" wide machines (4880 based machines) but will create the "error" shown above when installed in printers wider than 17". The 4880 heads will work fine on 24" wide format printers, these are the heads that we use for replacement in the M Series machines.
Thanks Don, does this also apply to older pre 2013 (1900) heads which aren't locked out from performing on wider format printers?

· Registered
417 Posts
Hi Jon,

I can't confirm an exact time when things changed, but they did indeed change. Your time estimation seems about right, however.
I wonder if the Dx5 supplied with R1900 printers a few years back is actually the same as fitted to the 4880 and will work in the Mutoh without problems ,I ask because I have about 4 older ones as spares ,I'll have to do some testing! , thanks Don for your help your a gentleman ;)

· Registered
417 Posts
The change was implemented in May of 2013
Hi Anthony hows it going ;)

Why did Epson start doing this on the DX5 heads, whats the point of it?, if you require a wide format head then why would you purchase a desktop R1900/2000 one from 2013 onwards seems pointless!
unless of course there is a big price difference that would make sense but I don't think that there is ... :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.