T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok, so now my (new to me) Kiosk 2 prints a bit (new cartridges installed). Thanks to Fatcat Printz for testing and fusing my motherboard (I'll take out the fuse tomorrow and see if it still prints). But it still prints with extreme verticle banding. It's still like a rainbow. When I did an epson pattern print, the pattern looked good, but the serial numbers are blurry, like they are two numbers over each other but off register. I loaded the machine with black ink in the whites, and started to do a print head alignment. But the best letters are still blurry, and the blocks of ink are all more or less poor. I did the best I could with it, but the output is not workable. I tried to print an email out, it was far too blurry to read. I remember somewhere in the forum it was said that when you change a head, you have to enter the serial number somewhere. How is this done? Would it affect print quality in this way?

Thanks again for any help on this, not sure what to do next, as I have new head, capping station, ribbon cables, cartridges, external ink bottles.

OK, so now I go on the Epson site- and I see how the output should look for the alignment tests-
1) first test- I have NO vertical lines to judge, just the letters (which are blurry)

2) second test- I have no blacl rectangles to align, only the numbers that identify them (and they are blurry, see a theme here?)

3) Third test- prints the black squares, but they are all kinda "spotty" and none are of great quality).

-Dan

·
Registered
5,275 Posts
Ok, so now my (new to me) Kiosk 2 prints a bit (new cartridges installed). Thanks to FatKat Printz for testing and fusing my motherboard (I'll take out the fuse tomorrow and see if it still prints).
You are welcome..

But it still prints with extreme verticle banding. It's still like a rainbow. When I did an epson pattern print, the pattern looked good, but the serial numbers are blurry, like they are two numbers over each other but off register.
are you talking about a nozzle check??

I remember somewhere in the forum it was said that when you change a head, you have to enter the serial number somewhere. How is this done? Would it affect print quality in this way?
There is no need for this.. its for Epson when you buy a new printhead. You don't enter in printhead/DTG printer serial number anywhere.

Can you take a picture of your nozzle checks? Did you properly prime the dampers before you started to print?

Printhead alignments are a rare process and are not always necessarily needed because they waste of a lot ink and take a long time.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
:) OK, THEN...PROBLEM RESOLVED! I just printed a really beautiful shirt on my cheapy ebay Kiosk 2.

What I learned: well, a lot really. Thanks to Carla at FatKat Printz and Karl Steele at Steeletec, I have a solid running machine.

1) When the machine goes through the motions, but no printing occurs, there is a "fuse" on the motherboard that could cause this It's labeled "F15" Test it with a continuity meter. It can be re-fused by Carla and Pat for a very low price.

2) If your machine will not print an epson nozzle check, and when you print colors and they run together or print just vague lines of color, it's likely the mother board. Now Swf Mesa and Coldesi have these boards for around a grand. But Karl can sell you a used one for less. OR...you can search on Craigslist or eBay and buy a used Epson 2200 for 40-100 bucks, pull the motherboard and send both boards to Karl for a "brain transplant". This creates a new motherboard out of the epson that will get you printing if your has failed. About a $300 solution to a $1000 problem...you choose.

3) If your external ink system drains all your ink out overnight, it's due to a siphon action you created by having the ink tank shelf too high, and putting windex in he capping station. (DOH!) $$$$$$

4) That Epson 2200 you bought? It also likely has a usable head (the Syringe with a bit of hose on the end is your friend, but don't push too hard!), capping station, ribbon cables, carriage, and more. Save it!

5) Epson tech support is staffed by people reading from a script. Do not expect any real help. SWF- well...not so much...:confused:

6) Your friends on the t shirt forum are of great value.
Thanks to: Carla at FatKat Printz, Karl at Steeletec, Dan at DTGinks.Com, Harry at Equipment Zone and everyone else who furthered my education!

All the best,

Dan Belick
aka- dANNY8bALL

:tipthank:

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh, you will! 'Cause it's not luck, it's following the procedures and step by step eliminating what is NOT causing it.

Let us know what you find. You can check the ribbon cable and the fuse on the motherboard first...

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
To confirm, this is the tiny fuse in the motherboard, not the one on the back of the machine, right? (mine was also good, but the board was not).

Your next step then would be to contact Carl at Steeltec, and come up with an epson 2200 for a board to use for the repair. He sometimes has them to sell also.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
and see mine finally print....is it really that bad?
I had been looking at buying a second hand one but I reconsider, especially the feedback here.
So thanks for the heads up.
Its not "that bad", once you learn to "listen" to those that been through the hard part and have "taught" many items you need to do
to be successful with your K2.

Its not a DIY project, if you don't know how to DIY. You can dig and dig here on the forums but when you finally spend so much money that you can't afford to send it to a professional (besides SWF/EZ) then it becomes "that bad"

...don't know how many times I hear "I should have listened to you in the beginning, now I am out of money and have a paper weight"

:smh: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
35 Posts
hope all is well i have freejet 330tx that has had me nealy gone bankrupt a couple of times. i have a couple epson r2400 boards with i suppose blown fuses 2 with fatal errors and 1 that will print but no ink output. im looking to see if you guys would be able to add fuse holders to the boards and get them back in running condition. or maybe someone you guys might know that does. im tired of my machines downtime and im losing to much money with it being out of warranty and i still have 2 years left on the lease.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.