T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help, I have had a used HM1 X demo unit from Yesltd UK now for a couple of months and we are getting along fine until, I removed the head for inspection and now
The printer goes through the motions but does not lay down any ink, I have tried nozzle check from the drivers settings, several head clean passes but no ink is printing. When it goes through a head clean it looks like ink is being collected in the capping station and is sucked away as usual, but there is no ink being deposited in the left hand reservoir pads (I used a small square of paper just to confirm).
Unfortunately YESltd and there support is closed for the holidays and therefore I cant get hold of them for help. Anybody got any ideas? I have a lot of new years eve t-shirts to print.
I have tried reseating the print head cables, but I am unclear whether I need to prime or charge the print head if ever the dampers are removed. I must be missing something.
If anybody can help me out I would be very grateful.

This is how I ended up in this situation.

The last couple of days in the middle of a print the head will jam to the left and the drive belt will continue to spin making a very unpleasant grinding noise. The only fix is to switch the unit off and on again and reset the job.
I thought just In case something was dirty and needed a clean I would give it a little service today, removing the covers etc and checking everything out. Since the print head carriage had a ink dust build up I decided to remove the aluminium plates to give them a better clean. I came across this article http://www.mesasupplies.com/downloads/HM1_&_Eclipse_Print_Head_Replacement.pdf
while looking for detailed diagrams on how to remove the different panels from the HM1, and decided to remove the print head so I could check the sensor on the back of the carriage just in case it had got dirty and that was causing the jamming. Did notice that my unit uses cardboard to hold the dampers in position wear as the article clearly shows some sort of damper Assembly housing that seems to clamp the ink lines in position, mine does not, not sure if this is only on newer models or if mine has had its removed at some point.
Anyway after removing the dampers and the head I thought it looked a bit dirty with ink around each of the nipples so I decided to give it a clean with some DTG cleaning solution but that just seemed to make even more of a mess, ( can the print head be submerged in fluid to give it a good clean or will this damage internal electronics?)
I replaced everything back as I found it and ran a head clean, then tried a print, but nothing printed,

·
Premium Member
5,953 Posts
If you submerged the whole printhead, chances are you may have damaged the electronic connections. You are not supposed to submerge the whole thing, only the bottom part where the nozzles are, being careful not to get liquid into the connections where the ribbon cables go.

If it is acting like its printing but not laying down ink, it is either the printhead connections, ribbon cable or your mother board. I had my mother board go out on mine and it did the exact same thing. Check your ribbon cables and look for any type of brown scorch marks on the cable ends. if you dont see any its very possible that your main board is needs replacing. Sorry I can't give you any advice to get it working right now, as you will probably need to replace parts to do that.

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
Take the print head out and check the ribbon cables going in to it for burn marks. If you find some then the ribbon cable will need to be replaced. Otherwise check that you have plugged the cables back into the print head completely. If they weren't pushed in tightly then you would have a communication problem.

As for your original problem with the belt, check to make sure that the gear driving the belt is clean. It will build up dirt on it if not cleaned on a regular basis which will cause the belt to slip.

Harry

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sunnydayz, Don't worry I did not submerge the whole head I had just read in another post how somebody had cleaned a blocked one in a ultrasonic cleaner to get it going.

I think you are both correct it must be a communication problem, I must have not inserted a cable fully or something has been damaged in the process. I thought it would be unlikley a blockage as it has been printing daily without problem.

I wish I had left it alone now I was only trying to prevent damage from occuring with the belt slipping.

So I guess we could be looking at Board, ribbon cable or even print head as the culprit?

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
First check the ribbon cable connections to the print head. It may be as simple as pushing the connections in further. Also don't forget to clean the belt gear after you have everything running.

Harry

1 - 5 of 5 Posts