T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I'm new to this forum and I'm interested to know how many printpasses are you giving to get a good wash result on White T's? It seems many users give two but that really adds to your print production time. I seem to get varying results when I use just one. I got an Eclipse D1 and print 8 channels CMYK at 720x720dpi. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
5,720 Posts
Do you feel that your shirts are not washing well if you only do one print pass or are you not satisfied with the print brightness if you only do one pass? I'm not sure from reading your post.

Harry

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
I always use 2 print passes. The more color the better. I hate having dull colors when i print/

Printing 2 passes will always yield better results both in vibrancy and washability.
This holds true no matter which machine you own.
It's simply because the initial ink will absorb into the fabric to some degree.
When you double pass you are basically providing a color primer coat that greatly enhance and pop with the 2nd pass.

Mark
Belquette

·
Registered
4,664 Posts
I am confused. You use an Eclipse that is basically two printers (one loaded with 8-white channels and one setup as Dual CMYK). Printing at 720 x 720 dpi on a Dual CMYK system seems a little high. Mark (Belquette), what resolution do you recommend for printing with your printer in a Dual CMYK setup? I will agree that running two passes typically does look better, but running at that resolution will most likely oversaturate the designs. Although the dot sizes are different, I would expect it to be similar printing resolutions. Otherwise, having a two printer setup might not be beneficial if you still have to run two passes with CMYK. Maybe a multiple (but separate) printer setup might be better in the long run.

Mark

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the input. I'm very happy with the colour vibrancy/brightness with one pass although solid black is'nt full on black (even at 720x720), more like a very, very dark charcoal. I'm really getting great looking prints, it's more the wash that concernes me as the colours do fade especially on heavier 180gm shirts. The best result has been a light dry in between passes to prevent bleeding, then I get a good black.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I use 2 passes at 720 mode.

However, I've always had good wash results with 325 deg for 180 secs (3 minutes). It seems that when I've tried to shortcut that (in a hurry...) are the times I've had some fading issues (still small / rare though).

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
Mark (Belquette), what resolution do you recommend for printing with your printer in a Dual CMYK setup?
Mark,

Actually, I usually do not enable the Dual CMYK mode in this case.
I would recommend single CMYK printing with 360 x360 or 360e (360x720) if you plan on 2 pass prints. (Flexi-Jet)

If you wanted to utilize the Dual CMYK mode while double passing then I would recommend lowing the CMYK ink levels to around 88% and printing at the above settings.

There are also some new configurations that have been optimized specifically for dual pass printing that will be introduced in the near future.

Mark

PS: With the Eclispe you will need to use 720 x 720, or better 720 x1440 and lower the ink levels accordingly if running in Dual CMYK mode.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I use 2 passes at 720 mode.

However, I've always had good wash results with 325 deg for 180 secs (3 minutes). It seems that when I've tried to shortcut that (in a hurry...) are the times I've had some fading issues (still small / rare though).
Fading is a problem with the DuPont inks- your longer cooler cure time is the only thing I have read that seems to really improve DuPont washability. Several other ink sets have the need for the same extended cure time.

The DTGInks that I am using right now cure to really good washability at 350 for 60 seconds. On our Flexi-jet (4800 based machine) we use dual CMYK. The majority of our prints on white shirts are single pass 360 by 360. For really bold prints ( or prints on darker shirts) we select dual CMYK 2 pass 360 by 360.

Occassionally we use 720 by 720 dual for designs that include small black text and select unidirectional. No bleeding and the results are quite crisp and dark text.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts