T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I completed my test run. I had my design printed in white and black on a veloci-jet and the mod1.

On initial inspection, the veloci-jet nailed the color and appearance. The background from the MOD1 print was a different color and much darker than the file I sent. The white from the veloci-jet was much more brilliant and the red brighter. Some of the areas of the V-jet had better coverage over the under base.

The hand was close enough to call a tie.

I used the scientific method of asking my wife what she thought and she chose the V-Jet print.

Then came the wash test. I tested with both prints in same load, darks and then whites. Dried normally like I do all the rest of the shirts I own. After the wash the results were a dramatic surprise.

The Veloci-Jet print showed dramatic loss of color, under base showing thru colors (the white was still perfect).
The MOD color looked the same. The background that was too dark at the start may have gotten a bit lighter.

I will add pics later, gotta move them from cam to pc.

· Registered
1,294 Posts
Hi James,
One thing to keep in mind is that prints will vary from image to image. Because a final print is duller, the artwork can always be tweaked by adjusting the brightness, or in Photoshop CS4, Vibrancy, or even by changing from CMYK to RGB mode.

Sometimes we use the Kiosk because the prints tend to be over-saturated so we don't have to tweak the image. But with the kiosk its also harder to get more subtle prints without modifying the artwork down.

You should probably get a handful of various shirts to be printed and see which one is close enough most of the time.

Another thing to keep in mind is that you have full control over the Rip. It can be adjusted to oversaturate or make certain colors pop more than others if you want to tweak it.

· Registered
2,768 Posts
Most of what you see can be the rip setting and not the machine. I would look at the machine from view point of reliability, support, ease of cleaning and maintenance. Shirt loading in a production run. Thing like how hard is it to replace capping station.

Reactions: Rodney

· Registered
2,768 Posts
Yes but if it was done at two different locations. Two diff pretreat tech two diff rips two diff color profiles on two diff programs. Hard to compare. Evem if the file was the same and just dumped in the rip it would still be ripped diff unless same with same settings in color profile. Then the curing tech. To many variables.

· Registered
867 Posts
Yes but if it was done at two different locations. Two diff pretreat tech two diff rips two diff color profiles on two diff programs. Hard to compare. Evem if the file was the same and just dumped in the rip it would still be ripped diff unless same with same settings in color profile. Then the curing tech. To many variables.

Isn't that the point when comparing two different machines?

· Registered
2,768 Posts
Under the conditions set forth I could take the same machine and get two different results. If I have two different people pretreat, two different rips, two different color profiles, two different curing techs.
How could they possibly be comparable. If I have the same art work file on disk, send to same rip with same color profiles and setting, then maybe the pretreat issue is not that big and I could go with that, but a print that looked great then after wash was bad, more than likely is pretreat or curing not printing. Assuming same inks.

· Premium Member
4,310 Posts
James are you talking about the left chest design? The back was just red and white if I recall. Because of the design needing to be printed on black, I had to remove the background in Photoshop. I couldn't print the file straight without effecting the whites in the eagle. I've had other files where I printed it straight without touching it and against the Velocijet, I was told the colors on the Mod nailed it perfectly and was the only one that did it without me them sending me a sample print.

What did you think of the black tshirt design I sent you?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.