T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see it's been asked before, but I will try to be specific:
1) What brand/model did you buy, how long have you had it, and would you buy again?
2) Are you happy with supply costs? Is there non-manufacturer ink available, or only mfg supplied?
3) Do you have a pretreatment "device" or use a sprayer?
4) If you were buying today, what would you buy?
5) Getting started, what was unexpected in the learning curve?

Thank you in advance

· Registered
1,397 Posts
I see it's been asked before, but I will try to be specific:
1) What brand/model did you buy, how long have you had it, and would you buy again?
2) Are you happy with supply costs? Is there non-manufacturer ink available, or only mfg supplied?

Thank you in advance
DTG Brand is actually a brand of dtg printers that sells different models. You may get a better answer posting this under direct to garment section.

· Premium Member
2,779 Posts
NeoFlex = Best Print Quality = Best Tech Support = Best Community of Owners = I WOULD DO IT AGAIN 10 TIMES!! Send me a PM and I will be happy to explain more about why I feel the way I do. I don't want to write a novel here lol

· Registered
1,397 Posts
NeoFlex = Best Print Quality = Best Tech Support = Best Community of Owners = I WOULD DO IT AGAIN 10 TIMES!! Send me a PM and I will be happy to explain more about why I feel the way I do. I don't want to write a novel here lol
Peter must love you. Lol. Are you sure your not on their sales team?:)

· Registered
99 Posts
I bought a HM1 around 3 years ago. I have stayed with manufacturers ink as in the beginning I did not want to void warranties. Supplies are expensive.

It definitely does have a learning curve as there are lots of nuances to it. And even after you learn most of them you forget some until you ruin a shirt and then remember yeah I needed to do only unidirectional on those small letters. (fill in the blank for what you learned but might not come into play again until 3 months down the road) I cannot image someone buying one of these used without a lot of experience somewhere with one of them. If you are new to this you definitely need the support team of the manufacturer.

I found Col-Desi support to be good and patient. It can be frustrating if something is wrong and the call back comes a few hours later but really that probably is pretty good considering all the calls they must get. They always call back and have always been able to get me going again. Knock on wood I don't think I have had to make a call in over a year.

My machine has been very reliable, particularly once I got through the learning curve. Biggest issue I have found is the pretreatment process. It is so critical.

It can print some amazing stuff, and then sometimes the simplest one color white print on a dark shirt does will not some out as well as you would like. After a while you know what prints are not good for the DTG and what works great on it.

My biggest fear is always some more serious maintenance. I find that a bit more challenging than probably most. Things like changing a print head is more than just loosening a few screws.

I am glad I purchased it now. It has been good for my business and gives you a great option for lots of jobs.

I am hoping to move to a M-2 in the near future. Hopefully many of the lessons learned on the HM1 will transfer.

Good luck with your purchase!

· Registered
492 Posts
Number one question- what are you trying to accomplish? Are you getting into it to make a profit? With DTG that is a long arduous road that seems endless. Are you buying a machine to increase your customer base with a unique low production offering? 12 to 20 grand later, it may do this for you if you are a savvy marketer. Want to sell one offs as you need them for ebay or etsy? Might break even eventually...

Anyone who tells you DTG is easy, inexpensive and trouble free is either delusional or a sales rep. Or maybe both...:) You are only as good as your last print, and it can vary not just day to day, but hour to hour. I am a maintenance slave, but it only gets so reliable. And it's a nightmare when it isn't. Like they say, if it was easy, Walmart would do it.

I do DTG (2 machines) sublimation, screen printing and embroidery. I sell products on ebay, etsy and amazon as well as print for businesses and individuals. All make money, all are important to my business. But screen printing is by far the lowest hassle, cheapest to get into, most profitable department. But it's not without it's learning curve either.

So, really the first sentence is the REAL question- Why are you interested in doing this? I would spend a lot of time on my plan before I invested...

Hope this helps you,

dANNY8bALL :)

· Registered
46 Posts
Wow,
I have so much to offer here. I bought an M2 a year ago. I had no clue. My wife who is a graphic designer and myself started our business a year ago.
The learning curve is big. We spent 4 months and probably 1000 dollars ruining shirts until we figured it out.

The ink is expensive and generally running the machine is expensive. Cleaning it properly is huge.

The spraying process is very tricky. We use both a machine which I bought 6 months after. We also spray by hand. I have become pretty good at it. Each shirt brand reacts different.

So needless to say after a year and alot of pain we are finally making progress in the right direction. Are business is self sustaining but it has not been easy.

The machine is good. It makes very good prints and we have had no issues with it breaking down. Don't plan on making any kind of profit for a long time.

i have alot more to say but it would take too long. Message me if you need more advice

· Registered
32 Posts

I bought an M2. I'm glad I did because printing 2 shirts at once or 4 pockets at once is HUGE!

Col-Desi overcharges for ALL their supplies, not sure why. The machine is awesome and their support is fantastic, but for supplies I would go elsewhere. Heat Press Inc sells the ink much cheaper (it's actually the same ink, Dupont, just relabeled). Image Armor is awesome Pre Treat for almost half the price of DTG Brand Pre treat.

We just order a Speed Treater TX, but right now we use a Wagner. If you know what you are doing, pretreating isn't bad but is a HUGE learning curve. Getting a machine will allow you to hire any worker at min wage to pre treat shirts, and they will all come out the same. Beware of older pre treat machines though, they tend to break down a lot. The new ones that have come out seem to be a lot better designed.

I would buy another M2 or an M4. But honestly my next step is an auto screen press.

Honestly, I don't think there is that big of a learning curve to DTG. I know everyone says that, but I find it is over stated. Now, if you are the type of person that has trouble checking your email or hates computers, then yeah it's going to suck big time! I myself was able to print several perfect shirts my first day. I had a few mess ups, but the big learning curves are when you have to figure out whats wrong, like un-level platens/RGB Color correction/raised areas from pockets/scorching white shirts/etc.

I have a background in engineering and software, so maybe that helped me, but if you are the type of person that gets frustrated easily and "just wants it to work" then DTG is going to drive you nuts just like ANY other form of printing. But if you are the "make it happen" type of person, then it will be like just another day at the office.

· Registered
104 Posts
Spent around $6kAUD buying a broken DTG Kiosk 1 around 5 years ago? Spent a week pulling it apart, cleaning ink lines and fixing it up. Once it was working I used it to print a few of my own designs but figured there was more of a market for customs so I went with the flow. Upgraded to WIMS which drove me borderline insane due to how loud it was and how frequent the motors burnt out (not sure why they dont use induction motors on the system) and general printing issues (clogged heads etc etc).
I'm constantly servicing the machine, if you're not technically inclined or a problem solver, dont bother with it. The majority of my problems come from white ink printing. If it was just CMYK 90% of my printing annoyances would be gone.
Customer service from the distributor is great, not that i call them too often...I usually find my answers on this forum.
I use a sprayer, and not sure how good breathing these chemicals in is for me.
Ink is expensive no matter where you get it. Just have to include it in ur cost of sales.
Irrespective of all these issues it all came pretty naturally but i can see how there might be a big learning curve for some people.
If I was to buy today?... I'd use anything if the print quality and speed was decent and I was getting a bargain :p

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.