T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I converted an Epson Ecotank Et-8550 to a DTF (direct to film) printer. So far it's been fantastic and the prints are come out vibrant. Haven't had any issues with clogs or had to do any regular cleaning with the printer, it's going on the third week now. I uploaded a video of conversion to my youtube.
Convert Epson ET-8550 to DTF

·
Registered
Custom DTF Transfers
17 Posts
I converted an Epson Ecotank Et-8550 to a DTF (direct to film) printer. So far it's been fantastic and the prints are come out vibrant. Haven't had any issues with clogs or had to do any regular cleaning with the printer, it's going on the third week now. I uploaded a video of conversion to my youtube.
Convert Epson ET-8550 to DTF
I wish you continued luck extending that to 3 mos and 3 yrs, through periods of vacation and non-use. But why, when given the choice between an ecotank and cartridge models, would you pick the one that will be difficult to agitate the inks? It's not the better bet. (sorry, didn't watch your 31min vid to see if you address the issue). Do you have a WIMS (more complexity)?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wish you continued luck extending that to 3 mos and 3 yrs, through periods of vacation and non-use. But why, when given the choice between an ecotank and cartridge models, would you pick the one that will be difficult to agitate the inks? It's not the better bet. (sorry, didn't watch your 31min vid to see if you address the issue). Do you have a WIMS (more complexity)?
Going on almost 4 weeks now and printing is still going strong, no clogs and I'm only using the GY channel for white.
Here's my latest video of me going through the process.
DTF Printing on Epson ET8550

·
Registered
Custom DTF Transfers
17 Posts
Going on almost 4 weeks now and printing is still going strong, no clogs and I'm only using the GY channel for white.
Here's my latest video of me going through the process.
DTF Printing on Epson ET8550
I'm not saying it won't work, and many are using ecotanks for DTF, I'm just wondering if it's worth the increased risk of problems?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would like to see the printer actually printing the whole design design, including white. Do you use adhesive powder? Can you show that process too?
Yeah I do, I use a combination of Black and white powders.

This printer is harder to film the printing inside because of the scanner unit but I have a couple Ill upload today.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm not saying it won't work, and many are using ecotanks for DTF, I'm just wondering if it's worth the increased risk of problems?
coming from using the XP-15000. I had nowhere close to the number of issues I had dealing with the maintenance of the XP-15000 (channels clogging, especially magenta clogs on this printer, fatal codes, constant printhead cleans, paper jam issues, and refilling the inks is very time-consuming.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts