T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm setting up screen printing equipment in the basement of a commercial building. The space is about 1500 square feet with no windows only a door. Is it necessary to vent out a smaller entry level dryer? The cost to do so is significant as I'd have to go through the main floor and then up through the roof with an exhaust fan. I have heard some people tell me that they don't bother venting out their dryers and then others tell me that I should do it because of the fumes that come from the dye in the fabric of the shirts and hoodies. Any suggestions or feedback is greatly appreciated.

· Registered
4,497 Posts
I have heard some people tell me that they don't bother venting out their dryers
This is silly.
The only case when venting is not necessary, is when you have really good air flow. A carport for example.

The space is about 1500 square feet with no windows only a door.
So if the door is closed you eventually suffocate?
There is ventilation somewhere in there, and depending where the extracted air is going, you could probably use it.
You may have to mix the dryer exhaust with some more air to cool it down, but that's easy to do.

· Registered
21 Posts
Hi
As a manufacturer of tshirt dryers both large and small it really depends on three things
A) surface area and size and dryer dimensions
B) what inks are being used (plastisol? Water based RFU? Specialty inks? Using nylabond additive? Doing discharge printing? Depending on what you are using will dictate the vent requirements.
C) certain city codes in USA and Canada dictate whether venting is required (Kamloops could have different codes than Kelowna for instance.

get the correct size of the dryer how many amps 220v single phase what is the dryer rating in shirts per hour? This helps in determining venting if any. Does your dryer have airflow or exhaust fan(s)? I remember installing a 8’ conveyor in a dungeon like space in Winnipeg and we were able to modify a few things to mitigate fume issues. I have visited many shops in emission strict California and have found the garments themselves posted little or no risk, unless they have changed dye process overseas.

please list details on your dryer and location so I can better assist you.

vince

1 - 3 of 3 Posts