T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! Just finished a whack of shirts, and about half way through, my white underbase started poking out on a few shirts. I made it to the end of the run without any major catastrophes, but I can't help but think of what I would have had to do to fix the problem!

What are everyone's procedures to re-register? Clean out the whole screen and hit the micro-adjust?

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Most often, images go out of registration during a print run because the mesh lost tension from beginning to end of run.

You could also be having a problem with individual platens not being in register - like if only platen 3 printed out of register.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I just throw a couple scrap shirts on, print one and micro tune it in, print the next one tune it a little more if needed. I would never take the screens off and re-register.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, guys!
I guess by "clean out the whole screen" I meant clean the image area so you could see through to register to a print of the 1st color.. Or do you just adjust based on where a print from the screen lands on the shirt?
I have my 1st micro reg press on its way currently by the way, so sorry if I sound ignorant!

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
A lot of times you have to clean the image out in order to see, then re micro than test print then clean again- BIG PIA!!!!. I did learn a trick though, you can use a peice of clear film or clear tape over you test print, that way you dont have to keep printing test shirts or pellons. I'm luck to have huge rolls of clear vinyl to use up.

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
Thanks, guys!
I guess by "clean out the whole screen" I meant clean the image area so you could see through to register to a print of the 1st color.. Or do you just adjust based on where a print from the screen lands on the shirt?
I have my 1st micro reg press on its way currently by the way, so sorry if I sound ignorant!
It's best to clean and register it properly.. with that said, many printers will do it by eye because they know their press. Just by looking at the print you can often easily tell what direction you need to adjust the screen.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
On a job with a lot of colors if I'm nervous about it I take a 1" squeegee and print the registration marks in a dark color on the platen. Hit them with a heat gun to gel the ink, and put a thin piece of scotch tape over the mark. If one of the screens moves a tad it's pretty quick to clean those four spots on the screen that's out and re register. :)

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
I just throw a couple scrap shirts on, print one and micro tune it in, print the next one tune it a little more if needed. I would never take the screens off and re-register.
This is the process I normally follow...if I know where the problem is.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts